CAIA Level II - Essay Questions

How do you study and prepare the essay questions? I read a few essay questions and my feeling is that it’s a random selection which could include a subject on a 5-10% weight section. Is a passive learning the best way to pass these questions? What’s jour feeling? Good luck everyone !

Essay question is a bit of a misnomer as they are more like short answer questions.

I believe there will always be one question on ethics, while the others could come from any section.

Try all the practice questions you can find in order to get an idea of what/how they test and then skim through the materials making a note of concepts that would be suitable for them to ask.

Other than that, just make sure you know a little about everything and that the cards fall in your favour.

Good luck.

Agree with the above.

My understanding is that there are 3 questions, one of which is gauranteed to be on Ethics. So prepare the Ethics hard and then hope you get lucky for the other 2 questions (which could be a combination of different study areas.

The bit I don’t understand is why there is only 3 questions. When I am doing the Uppermark practise essay Q’s they are worth 10 points each so if there are 3 questions that means 30 points in total for the essay section.

Firstly, how does this take 2 hours? The Uppermark practise Q’s are taking max 20 mins each so I can easily get done in an hour.

Secondly the MCQ section has 100 points in 2 hours - that’s 1.2 mins/point vs. 4 mins/point for the essays - is this correct?

Please can anyone help me reconcile this - it doesn’t make any sense to me??

Thanks

Level 2 candidate Sept 2014.

Thanks a lot fort these comments. Indeed, the more accurate description of the Essay Questions is a part composed of three topics: 1 on Ethics and 2 on a random selection of the global topics. Further, each subject is composed of 2 to 4 questions. So, I agree, we need to know a little on each topic concepts to enhance our probability of success…

The best way to prepare for the essay is to know the material.

The topic will be randomy selected, you will get several questions on that topic (each worth 1-2-3 points) and they will go quite deep in testing your knowledge of that topic.

I don’t think that Essay questions in TestBank and in Schweser books give you correct format to prepare for real test.

Thanks Blu2014.

What makes you say that you don’t think Essay questions in TestBank and in Schweser books give you correct format to prepare for real test?

Can you expand on that at all? Are you just saying they are not deep/detailed enough?