What do you think about CAIA Level 2 March 2015 Followed by CFA Level 2 June 2015?

First post on this forum although i’ve been an avid follower of both the CFA and CAIA sections.

I just passed the level 1 CAIA exam along with the level 1 CFA exam in June 2014. Congrats to everyone else who also passed!! I thought both were pretty easy and put in about 100 hours for CAIA and 200-250 hours for CFA.

I’m contemplating sitting for CAIA Level 2 in March 2015 and CFA Level 2 in June 2015 but was hoping for someone to chime in on how much studying is neccessary for CAIA level 2 comparatively to level 1.

I work 50-60 hours a week in a HFOF so a lot of the HF and risk sections aren’t too bad and I have a good amount of extra time to study.

I value the CFA above the CAIA and don’t want to risk not having enough time to study for level 2 but was hoping to get it all out of the way so I could enjoy the summer and partially/potentially improve my career prospects. I may also take the GMATs Fall 2015 as well.

Any advice/input/comments on what to do?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hey Knock, You actually sound exactly like me except I’m taking the GMAT this December, the CAIA Level 2 in March and already tried my hand at the Level 2 CFA this past June and failed (Band 7; passed Level 1 December 2014; started studying April), and have a much less applicable job (I do no analysis whatsoever; I’m a support assistant to advisors). I think in your case it is definitely doable if you spend the rest of the year focused on the CAIA Level 2 and then just reinforce your knowledge before the test in March. The Level 2 exam of the CFA is not easy but it is also not impossible. I would devote as much time as you can to the CFA Level 2 and would start studying no later than mid-Feb.

If you value CFA above CAIA then you should prioritise the CFA Level 2 exam and take the CAIA exam in September.

CFA L2 is a beast. Don’t underestimate it. 3 months isn’t enough.

Plus you run the risk of burning yourself.

What about CAIA L1 and CFA L2? Is CAIA a good prep for Alts in CFA?

Don’t confuse yourself. Definitely it could be some overlaps, but it won’t help you much.

Also it’s a little bit strange to waste 1.450 USD (+some $ for books) just to be confident on Alts at CFA lvl 2.