Level I - March 2015 Results

How did everybody go? Pass rate was 66%. Congrats to those who passed.

Commodities - Stronger

Hedge Funds - Stronger

Introduction to Alternative Investments - Stronger

Private Equity - Stronger

Professional Standards and Ethics - Stronger

Real Assets - Higher

Risk Management and Portfolio Management - Stronger

Structured Products - Higher

Commodities - Stronger

Hedge Funds - Stronger

Introduction to Alternative Investments - Stronger

Private Equity - Higher

Professional Standards and Ethics - Stronger

Real Assets - Stronger

Risk Management and Portfolio Management - Stronger

Structured Products - Higher

5 highers, 2 strongers, and one weaker. And I was surprised I passed all, so I’ll take it. Would love to hear any Part 2 tips after those results come through in a few weeks.

If someone put odds of me passing at +400 I would have been the no but surprisingly I snuck by with 3 higher, 3 comparable, 1 weaker, 1 lower. Almost fell off my damn chair when I saw I passed. Got lucky on some guesses I suppose.

6 higher, 2 stronger. On to the next one…Congrats all who passed, cheers!

1 stronger, 4 higher, 2 comparable, 1 weaker.

Very surprised to pass… flew through Kaplan material and generally scored 70%+, but exam felt much more difficult, and felt very unlike the Kaplan questions…

Commodities - Higher Hedge Funds - Stronger Introduction to Alternative Investments - Stronger Private Equity - Higher Professional Standards and Ethics - Higher Real Assets - Stronger Risk Management and Portfolio Management - Stronger Structured Products - Stronger And now Level 2 for September !

Got higher on Ethics and Structured Products and stronger on everything else.

I thought Schweser did an excellent job prepping me. I was averaging high 80% / low 90% on qbank and 85% on their practice exams and passed the level I comfortably.

I used my friends uppermark qbank before the test briefly. Uppermark questions seemed more challenging and some questions were more comparable to the test. However I heard complaints that Uppermark has too much info which can be confusing. For example one of their questions asked to determine what a limit order was, which is obviously easy, but not in the curriculum. Cant comment other than what I saw, but I can see that being the case.

Kindly note that UpperMark material is based only on subject matter that is in the CAIA reference texts. The term “limit order” is discussed in Chapter 2 of the Level I book. The intention of the question in TestBank on this term is to ensure that candidates know the difference between limit and market orders, since “market order” is a keyword in the curriculum. While these terms are “easy”, they are covered in the reference text and therefore may be tested on.

Thank you for your observation.

UpperMark Client Services

I found uppermark material very helpful for level 2. I used Scheweser for level 1 and Uppermark for level 2. Uppermark flashcards were very useful and for some reason I thought level 2 was easier than level 1. I don’t know if that was because I took CFA level 1 or uppermark material was effective