Test Taking Strategies

Hi All,

I failed bigtime for Level II, any test taking strategies, etc that you can recommend from the people who passed. Thanks a bunch

Take the simple road and study from the original books. The volume in CAIA is not insurmountable by any means and is a fraction of other programs out there. For me personally, the combination of using original books and Upperbank’s question bank did it for both levels.

Good luck,

D

I second DeadDogBounce that original books should be sufficient. I did not use any third-party provider for Level I and II. I can recommend to focus on the CAIA workbook. Practice all the questions until you can answer them (and understand them). Than go on and look at the keywords and write definitions of these keywords on small cards. Afterwards: practice them.

That´s how I came through. Good luck!

I don’t think it matters much what books you use, as long as you invest enough time, learn the material and practice questions.

I personally used Schweser books and Uppermark practice exams. What helped me a lot - I took notes as I was going through the books and exams (questions I had to guess or answered wrong). I re-read my notes few times and went through the incorrect questions again.

The diversity of opinion here should tell you that you need to find the way which appeals to you the most. I think blu2014’s way is a proven one in that he/she makes notes and uses Schweser. I for one have never been able to make my own notes and just read the original books cover-to-cover a couple of times (I read a lot as a hobby). The only thing I write on a notebook is the complete list of formulae, which I write down as I encounter them.

D

Just like any other designation, reading the books only gets you so far…you have to work your way through the material quickly, leaving ample time for hundreds (even thousands) of questions and practice essays. I used Uppermark for level II and they were very good. Once I got through the reading I took multiple timed exams and went through every practice essay that was available to me.

The key isn’t just whether or not you get everything right on the exams and essays, but also reading each of the wrong responses to each question - just my .02. You also need to put in the time…I spent many a beautiful summer day planted in my home office.

Anyone know if the Uppermark Q Bank is available in PDF form anywhere, or if it’s only accessible as a software programme?

I second Dog’s comments. Check what works for you. I went with Schweser Notes and Uppermark Qbank - if there was a topic I wanted additional information or clarity on, I would refer to the CAIA text.

As for the Uppermark Qbank in PDF - dont believe there is, it doesn’t allow you to print to PDF.

UM QBank is not available in PDF or printed form.

They are very protective of their product, software stops working after the exam period, meaning you can’t buy software CD used by someone else in previous period.

I’ve got my employer to re-imburse me for the cost of CAIA book and QBank, but even if you have to pay for it yourself - it’s totally worth the price they charge.

Thanks blu2014. I’ll probably fork over for it. I’m just apprehensive as the minimum I can get it for with UM is $499, even though I’m only using the Q Bank

The question bank was ~ US$ 270/level when I used it for both levels. You could save money by getting hold of the Core & Integrated Books in pdf from someone. It is 26 MB.

Oh, I didn’t see it could be bought separately. Will do this. Thanks DDB

It can be, yes. The only Uppermarl product I used was the question bank in both levels.

UM also discounts QBank as you get closer to the exam date.

Of course it will depend on your study strategy, but if you want to leave questions for last month - you can get nice discounts on QBank.

I see QBank software offered as separate product for $269, it’s been that way since 2013 when I started studying for CAIA.