Interesting obseravtions about pass rate for L2 vs L1

I’ve noticed something interesting:

Observation 1:

March 2015 was the first time ever when pass rate for CAIA Level 2 exam (68%) was higher than pass rate for L1 (66%). This is based on the table in Wiki CAIA article, with data going back to 2006.

Observation 2:

L2 pass rate shows upward trend over last 2 yrs:

68% - 2015-Mar,

66% - 2014-Sep,

63% - 2014-Mar,

62% - 2013-Sep,

while L1 pass rate had slight decline:

66%,

67%,

67%,

68%.

For some years in the past gap of L1 over L2 was huge, as high as 16%, but in 2012 pass rate started to converge, and now is higher for L2.

Wasn’t the 2012 the year they made significant changes to CAIA curriculum and increased it’s difficulty?

Any idea what this means? Less people taking L2, hence higher pass rate?

Hopefully it means 69% for September :slight_smile:

I was looking @ pass rates the day before and graphed historical rates to project a trend, unfortunately you can’t upload images that aren’t URLs here. In either case, it seems there was quite a divergence in pass rates between 2009-2011 with L1 & L2 rates converging since. I dont think the change in pass rates has to do with the # of ppl taking the test but increased difficulty for L1 resulting in higher caliber candidates attempting L2.

Also it would be interesting to plot number of test takers. I remember seeing such info somewhere, but can’t find it at the moment.