CAIA Level I Re-take & what you did

Like the topic says, what did you different the second time around? Any recommendations? I used KaplanSchweser the first time, but will re-read the curriculum and get the Uppermark Q Bank this time.

Anything else?

Sorry you have a re-sit.

I didn’t but here’s what I would do.

1. focus on areas - from CAIAA feedback - where you did relatively poorly. Definitely read the curriculum for any weak areas to improve understanding.

2. give yourself at least 4-6 weeks ahead to do practise exams (UpperMark), then again you can focus on weaker areas. I was doing 100 MCs a day.

3. Do CAIAA’s posted practise exam

4. Listen to Pady Jalali’s review classes and also the exam review. Ask qns in the latter on areas you’re not sure about.

5. Do the full timed practise exam say 2 weeks prior - before Pady’s review class.

Best of luck!

– MM

Thank you for your response MacroMan!

I had Kaplan so i’ll re-read those topics I had issues on. But i’ll get Uppermark Qbank this go around. I’m not familiar with Pady’s review classes, where do i sign up for those?

If you buy the course - and I am unaffilated btw and I’m sure other providers are doing similar webinars etc - then there’s a weekly webinar which is interactive. If you miss it - and I did often due to work/personal commitments - then it’s available as a replay.

Print out those sumamry notes and make your own notes alomngside. Later it will be very useful for exam prep.

Finally, once the material is covered there’s review of the course material webinars (I can’t recall if 1 or 2 for L1 but 2 for L 2). Make sure to actually be online for those, that way you can ask for clarifications on specific areas about which you’re unsure. .

Lsst, keep a positive frame of mind: you have done the material once, so a 2nd review will reinforce that learning. I girded myself for re-sitting L II thinking along these lines. Ultimately it’s optimal to be in command of the material. Keep at it and you will be, and then you will pass. I do thilk the exam process is fair.

Good luck, not easy, but anything worthwhile never is.

I am not sure why Kaplan/Schweser materials get negative press here, I used them for both levels and felt they were adequate. Furthermore, i used Schweser study materials plus Uppermark software for L1, never bought official CAIA text and passed from 1st try.

I had a chance to compare Schweser, UM notes and official text, and in my opinion it doesn’t really matter which text you use (as eveidenced by people on this forum passing exams by using various notes), in the end you will be spending most of your time with practice software from UM as your main mean of study.

Don’t waste your time with additional reviews/lectures, spend the time on mastering UM parctice questions instead.

If I were you, I would go through the Schweser books again, focusing on the sections where your score was less than average. Make notes of the LOs which you dodn’t understand 100% and reviews them later.

Then focus on Uppermark software, go through the Qs at least 2 times. During 1st go answer the question and then read the UM answers, even if you answered correctly. This will help to reinforce your understanding of the material. Mark questions you got wrong and the ones you don’t understand. Make notes, study the notes. During 2nd go focus on the questions you got wrong 1st time.

Then take the online test and see where you stand. Go though challenging question one more time if your score is too lower that expected.

This should be more than adequate for you to pass.

Thanks everyone! i’ve ordered the Qbank and have started re-reading the chapters. September can’t come soon enough!!

In my case, I am studying again for the level 1, since I couldn’t approve it.

I would like to know your advice about how many hours we should study per day. I started two weeks ago with the level 1 book of Kaplan, and this time I bought the self study package for doing the several mock exams that we can make with Shweser.

Thanks for your advice and motivation message!

Regards

Salut! I started reading for CAIA about 2 months to the exam. To be honest I wasnt at all sure I would pass after sitting that exam. But here are my two cents:

1. Study the main text atleast twice, if possible thrice. ALL the material will come from there…there are questions I wasnt sure of during the exam, but I could vaguely remember me glossing over them while reading the main text…and I really cursed!!!

2. Suppliment with Uppermark test bank. Do the questions (ALL) atleast twice. It will help a great deal. I learnt so much from those questions and knowledge of the main text really really helped.

This is what I did and passed. But I cut it too thin and only just made it. You gotta start early and work your way through the material. I dont know much about Schwesser but from what I have read, Uppermark is quite specialized in CAIA.

One last thing…during the exam, it is normal to be nervous etc. Be calm calm and dont second guess yourself. I remember changing my answers a couple times and then after the exam I went back to my room and checked the main text and slapped my self for changing the answer.

We are in this together…all the best to all of us!

Hi All,

First post ever, so I hope that some of you find this helpful.

I too gave myself about 2 months of studying time for level I. Certainly a tight window if you work full-time, however, not impossible. Though, I think 3 months is a comfortable start for anyone.

I purchased the reading materials from Kaplan and thought that the readings were very concise and to-the-point. I gave myself about 5 weeks to do all the readings, and about 3 weeks to work on practice questions and mock exams. I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary to re-read all sections since it’s almost impossible to learn this way. Only on the sections did I perform weakest on the practice questions and mock exams, did I go back and re-read for better understanding.

That being said, the 3 weeks of practice questions and mock exams was where everything starts to come together, where I felt learned the most. Again, I focused on my weakest areas. I will say, 3 weeks was plenty of time to complete Kaplan’s QBANK. I supplemented my final week of preparation by just purchasing UM QBANK material. Found this to be the most vital aspect of the learning experience. IMO, though both UM and Kaplan were equally as good in terms of question format, so you can’t go wrong.

I felt that eating a healthy meal was also hugely important to my success and performance on test day. Packed with protein and healthy fatty rich foods (eggs, nuts, avocado, almond butter) helped my mental stamina throughout the test.

Hope that all helps.

I agree, I don’t understand why Schweser is getting negative comments. I used the Schweser notes and Qbank for both levels and passed both on first try. I never even bought the regular books.

Just completed re-reading all of the materials including practice questions in Uppermark Qbank (not all of them). I have 5 weeks to nail this thing down although I feel pretty comfortable at this point.

What do you recommend I do for the next 5 weeks leading up to the exam date.

I have been reading 2 hours, 5-6 days a week and 1 hour review of questions in Qbank with Uppermark. What do you recommend I do now?

Note that I have been aiming to get a full 3 hours daily (+,-) any given day due to life happening etc.

Re-read the main text once more if not twice more. Also go through Uppermark questions again and again. This is what helped me…no matter how boring it seems. The more you re-read the material the more you grasp…the more it sticks. I am worried for you if you slow down because 5 weeks is a long time…your mind will forget critical things…All the best!