CAIA Level 1 exam possible in 4 weeks?

Hey Guys i just passed my cfa L2 exam, i am thinking of taking a shot at the CAIA L1 exam this September. Registration closes tomorrow. Am just wondering if its possible to study full time from now and pass the exam in September ?

The fee is quite high so i dont want to fail and have to repeat the exam. Is it doable in 4 weeks?

Please what do you guys think.

My 2 cents; I think it is doable. CFA is far harder. CAIA recommends 200 hours of prep for each level, and there is some slight overlap with the CFA program.

Additionally, if you were to fail, I think it is only a $450 fee to retake - you are not required to repay the entire $1450 or whatever it is.

Good luck!

If you don’t have a job and can devote 8 hours a day to studying…maybe, but who really wants to do that? I would just wait until next year.

I passed in 2 weeks and put in perhaps 90hours. Go for it.

It is easily doable and no, you do not need to devote 8 hours a day… I passed L1 of the CAIA exam last year (after passing CFA L2) with no more than 40-50 hours of total time. There is a lot of overlap and if you have general knowledge in the space, that makes it even easier.

Recently received my CFA charter and am taking CAIA level 2 next month and have yet to open my books.

1 Like

Level I is a joke, I’ve never met anyone who failed, just read the Uppermark material one time, do one practice test and you’ll be good to go. I’m taking Level 2 in September and haven’t even broken the seal on my books. You’ll be fine. CAIA

Just passed Level III CFA… not planning on starting studying until at least 3 weeks before.

Really? I’ve met several that have failed and they were by no means dumb people. You’re paying a lot of money to write these exams - the least you can do for your own personal development is to try and understand and learn from the material. That being said, 3-4 weeks is by no means adequate, unless you just want a designation besides your name.

Really? I’ve met several that have failed and they were by no means dumb people. You’re paying a lot of money to write these exams - the least you can do for your own personal development is to try and understand and learn from the material. That being said, 3-4 weeks is by no means adequate, unless you just want a designation besides your name and don’t care about retaining any of the material.

My firm paid for me to take the exam so that they can market the number of charterholders they employ. It’s only about the letters. When you asked your friends if they passed, did you follow up by asking what they learned? Of course not. At the end of the day all that matters are the letters.

Sounds like a fair point but I truly believe some of the information is useful (at least in my field of work). That being said, 99% of the info in the curriculum I either already know from the CFA exams or work or it is simply common sense. I only managed to get 35-40 hours in for Level 2 (which I took yesterday) and it seemed easy.

Is your firm hiring?

Were you in a fraternity? It’s a requirement, unfortunately.

Btw… I passed CAIA level 1 with maybe 20-25 hours of studying… i think Box_Spread hit the nail on the head

I think ability to pass cfa is a good indicator of how long you need to pass the caia, it is a joke if you are able to crush the CFA.

to offer my own experience thus far, earned my CFA charter in Aug. while i waited for results, i put in MAYBE 80 hrs for LI CAIA (inclusive of 4 mocks). ended up getting “stronger” across the board, with the exception of “higher” on 5% topic area. hopeful that LII will require similar level of preparedness because i’m over the whole exam taking thing at this point in my life/career.

It is probably do able but it depends if you want to actually learn and retain information or just collect a piece of paper. I spent my time going through the material and I can honestly say that I benefited from it. I wouldn’t take most of the posters here seriously - it is easy to brag when you’re anonymous.