Charterholder with a chip on his shoulder

Ladies/Gents,

I’ve been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to step out of the shadows.

I have solid credentials (Top 5 undergrad, top 5 MBA, CFA charterholder) currently working in my dream job in corporate real estate development. Served in the military after college, then worked at a boutique RE IB and currently working in a RE development role

About 30% of my income comes from my full time job salary (that takes about 70% of my time), the rest comes from investing in Real Estate, rehabbing, flipping, etc (30% time commitment). My track record has been pretty solid (tripled contributed capital in 4 years with relatively little risk) I realize that part of it was good timing since i’ve started in 2013. I’ve been able to secure a sizeable commitment from a foreign investor as seed money to start my fund and grow my real estate business. My next goal is to raise more capital to build an alternative investments fund (focused on RE, but not exclusively)

I am contemplating getting a CAIA designation (free of charge for me due to military). I am able to skip level I since I’ve passed the CFA exam The material seems very interesting to me, but I need to justify the time commitment. I would really appreciate some insights from the BTDTs that have benefited from the designation by either getting a leg up on the competition in joining a PE fund (as a VP or partner since I’d be bringing in capital) or in general getting another credential that would help me differentiate myself from other fund managers when I am raising capital

Thanks in advance for your input!

1 Like