Level II March 2020

Anyone signed up for level II yet? How are you going to approach it?

If I need to take CAIA 2 again, (the afternoon portion was brutal) I’ll

1. put more emphasis on the current topics.

2. study ethics more because I hope to take CIPM after CAIA 2 and there’s plenty of overlap.

1 Like

What materials would you suggest.

Some of the topics, such as private equity, hedge funds, and real assets, are on both levels. How are the questions in these topics different between the levels.

1 Like

I used the UpperMark material- the review books and practice questions. I’ll know in three weeks whether it’s Groundhog Day or not.

1 Like

Good luck James

1 Like

Read a chapter from the CAIA textbook. Then make notes using the uppermark condensed summary chapter of the same topic. Then do MCQs until you get them right. Move on and repeat for each chapter. Keep taking the MCQs. Aim to complete the entire syllabus as above with 6 weeks to go until the exam. Then Re-read all uppermark summaries and starting doing essay questions and SAQ over and over again. Read, question, repeat. Take exam.

1 Like

Signed up for L2 on 27/03/2020. Will again use the Schweser books and will destroy the uppermark Q-Bank. Worked out well for me for L1. For the essay questions I’m quite confident since I work in AI. Of course there is also a lot of luck included on which topic they choose the questions. Should maybe start more early this time, since I will be off in December :).

Also already ordered my stuff from Schweser on 1st of October, still no shipping. Does anybody know by chance when they plan to ship the material? Originally intended to start with the readings in November.

Many thanks

1 Like

1 Like

So what should I use for addl materials. I’ve been reading curriculum and taking notes on that. I also didn’t take Level 1 either.

I don’t want to spend a bunch of money, so do you think the Q-bank is worth it? Schweser or UpperMark? Anybody know where to find past exam questions?

1 Like

For level one, I purchased a 2017 copy of Schweser notes. I paid $40 on EBay, I studied the notes intensively and did well. So I am sold on Schweser. That is the way I would go. I am looking for a used 2017 or later copy.

1 Like

What about for question bank/mock exams? I am not sure what is offered for CAIA, is there similar past exams available for review?

2 Likes

I too, am going straight to Level 2. I believe the CAIA website has a downloadable work book on ther website with questions you can practice. I am using Uppermark on recommendations from this site. I haven’t come across pass exams yet like there were in the CFA program. If anyone, knows of any, please share. Thank you!

2 Likes

is uppermark just notes or do they include practice questions as well? I am used to Schweser for CFA, but have heard mixed reviews on UM for CAIA…

1 Like

Uppermark has a test bank that is web based.I bought the Platinum package that has:

Study Handbook: Printed

Formula sheet

TestBank: Web

Flashcards: Printed

Course: Complete set (Topics 1-8)

Final Review Package(with instructors)

1 Like

Hi,

I have created CAIA level II ?sapp group. Please join for discussion and sharing concepts

Send me your cell no to add

https://chat.?sapp.com/KtltioutOT27lsAnkXeR4m

Faisal Alvi

1 Like

Having trouble accessing it. Link doesn’t work for me.

1 Like

This is round 2 for level 2 for me. 3/2019 used schweser top of the line package, attended every online lecture, 325 hours of prep I had plenty of exam taking experience with the CFA, CFP and FRM so I was used to the format Current Topics were in Essay form and the most challenging portion of the exam. The essay was more challenging than the MC. In my opinion you will not have enough time to finish the MC and the Essay… You must skip the question if you immediately do not know the answer they design a number of questions to chew up large amounts of time. So don’t let your ego get in the way of passing. SKIP THE QUESTION and Go back to it later if time permits. The CAIA exam is more about reading between the lines of the question… and crossing out the distracters for answers …and they were some of the best distracters i have ever seen on an exam . even deciding between the east two choices of a MC was challenging.

Time managament and exam taking skill is necessary to pass , knowing the learning outcomes is only part of the process to successful passing. My major change for the 3/2020 will be using uppermark over schweser … Though Schweser was good for CFA and FRM i was less than impressed with for CAIA Level 2. Good Luck to all …

1 Like

One comment on the message above : DO NOT SKIP but Guess and mark for review.

With a sufficient preparation, I assume you should have 3 questions marked. It does not worth to loose the exam due to these questions

During the exam I also ensure regularly that the % remaining questions is ok with the % remaining time. I guessed 1 or 2 calculation questions if not enough time to ensure to complete all questions.

Do not let any answer blank but guess mark for review to come back later

If a question is let blank and no more time to go back on the questions, any blank is a 0, but any guess has a 25 or 33% probability to be right.

At the end of the exam any unanswered question will prevent you to be focused on the 3 lasts questions for which you know the answer.

Agreed. Schweser was better for FRM (I was more in a known environment durin the exam) than for CAIA

1 Like

Dear Laker 1,

Do you still have the 2019 CAIA Level II materials? Does it include the course learning material?

Please email me at tochan143@yahoo.com. I’m interested in buying them.

Sincerely.

Unfortunately, not. Sold last year. Good luck with the test.