Topic Weight Breakdown?

Anybody have a good idea? I’ve bought the three books but have no idea which parts of what will be MC, or essay, and what will be the breakdown.

From the CAIA L2 Study Guide Level II Exam Topic Weights and Question Format Topic Approximate Exam Weight 1 Professional Standards and Ethics 10% - 15% 2 Venture Capital and Private Equity 10% - 15% 3 Commodities 5% - 10% 4 Managed Futures 5% - 10% 5 Real Estate 5% - 10% 6 Hedge Funds 15% - 20% 7-11 Current, Integrated Topics & Application 30% - 40% Minutes Format Approximate Weight 120 Multiple Choice (all parts) 70% 30 Optional break - 90 Essay (all parts) 30% 210 Total Exam Minutes 100% There are 100 multiple choice questions and 3 essay questions on the L2 exam. The essay questions can come from any section so know your stuff! Hope that helps.

So Multiple choice comes from all three books? Also is there a site to get sample essay questions?

Multiple choice comes from all 4 books (don’t forget ethics) Sample questions are on the CAIA website in the study guide. Same as in L1.

Sircorn I just sat for Level II of the CFA. Do I really have to look at the ethics part? I’d assume it’s just the same stuff.

Pretty much is. The only diff is that you don’t have to bother with #7, responsibilities as a candidate. If you feel comfortable with your ethics knowledge then spend more time on other sections.

I think the twist on the Ethics is that it could appear on an essay, which is different than CFA L2. Not sure if this is the case but it might require knowing the standards a little more specifically (i.e. by name).

ATH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the twist on the Ethics is that it could > appear on an essay, which is different than CFA > L2. Not sure if this is the case but it might > require knowing the standards a little more > specifically (i.e. by name). True, you can know Ethics pretty well and it’s not bad if you get multiple choice but having to generate it on essay takes a little memory of the “phrasing” for violations. Got mine in essay form, did over 70% like normal but had to cough up the right wording. The essay part seem easier than some of the MC but it might be due to personal preference.

It’s kind of a catch 22 with ethics. Although you don’t have to state the standards for the essays, it would help if you could. Being able to do so would demonstrate that you’ve studied ethics well and have the capacity to answer the essays. Now if your head is swirling with 100 ethics questions from a testbank, you might not be able to pinpoint the exact answer to present.

I’d love to see an ethics essay question but given the focus of the material at level 2, I doubt we see it.

nep-hi you passed level II?

Hey Sircorn. Long time no chat. Without revealing too much about the March exam, check the sample exam and sample essay questions. I believe there are ethics essay questions in those and therefore it should be highly probable to see an ethics essay on the actual exam!

Hey Jarvey, Great news if that’s the case. I was assuming that the ethics stuff would be mostly kept for the multiple choice stuff and that the essay materials would be be from other stuff. I guess it really is all fair game then. cheers