About level 1

Hi guys, I’m a CFA level 1 candidate and taking the exam this Saturday - planning to take level 2 in June and CAIA level in march Before I register I would like to know how many books are there for level 1? How many hours are expected to be spent on the material (I’m not working in a company so I can have up to 10 hours every day for studying only) I need some details about the program please before I decide to register it Omar

For the number of books, check the CAIA website for the official curriculum. It has changed since I took the test. Every person is different but I spent roughly 1/2 the hours on the CAIA material vs. the CFA material. I’m not saying it is easier but there is certainly less material. I doubt you need to study for ten hours per day except near the end. I signed up for CAIA L1 in July 2009 after passing CFA L1 and had plenty of time to prepare for the September 2009 test. Did the same thing for CFA L2 and CAIA L2. Now just CFA L3…

So basically you think that if I register for march, I will be able to have time for it and CFA level 2 in June? or you think it will be better to do it after taking level 2 in June and taking it in September instead? Thanks

Omar, I have been doing the CFA exams in June and the CAIA exams in September for the past two year. I didn’t think doing CAIA in March was feasible since the CFA is more important to me and it would be a distraction while revising for the CFA exam. So your second option…wait until September for the CAIA. You’ll also have a lot of carryover from your CFA studies.

This is what I was thinking about too - guess it’s a better way Thanks a lot

I’d agree that waiting until Sept. for the CAIA is a no-brainer unless there is some reason you need to have both done by June.

Hi Captain, Not at all - doing both for fun till I start my post-grad in October next year so I can actually wait for September :slight_smile:

Hello everybody, I have the L1 2010 CAIA schwesernotes. Do you think I need to buy also the official CAIA L1 book? (CAIA Level I: An Introduction to Core Topics in Alternative Investments (Wiley Finance)).