I quit paying CAIA fees

I got the designation two years ago and paid two years’ fees ($250/year). This spring, the increase was 40%. Annual fee of $350 compared to $275 CFA annual fee.

My employer would pay the annual fees but I feel that I’m not getting enough to justify the payment. In my country, there is no local CAIA activity with only a few candidates. As a comparison, the local CFA society is very active, lots of events (often including food and drinks). In CAIA, I just get the journal by mail. I might accept that but the increase in the fee was something I found greedy.

I can only vote with my (or my employer’s) money to show what I think about the fee increase and about what I get in return for the fee in general.

Does anyone have the same thoughts?

I am writing L2 in September, and although I will have to wait to grab the charter, I am really not thinking that I will end up paying/using the charter in the end. I will likely just keep it on my resume, to be able to say that I passed the program and know the curriculum and if I end up in a role that requires it, I will get the employer to pay for the membership at that time. I will probably do the same thing with the FRM, although FRM is very reasonable for membership fees.

I basically view the CAIA as a neat value-add to the CFA and it looks decent on a resume.

I took on the CAIA as more of an extracurricular thing to keep me busy during my undergrad; CFA is still my main focus but given that I can’t register for CFA L2 until I grad in september I wanted something else. Plus, I find the material very interesting and I am able to afford the program/material.

I was thinking of taking the CAIA exam as well, untill i saw the cost + annual membership costs.

However, I’m still going to read the material for my own knowledge. You could still tell the potential employer that you have read and understood both levels of CAIA, but due to costs, you didn’t take the exam.

If the employer wants you to have the charter, let him pay for it and take the exam.

in 5 - 10 years the letters will start popping up more often and the exam approval rate will go down. i really think they could add another level that would be instrument specific…

+1

L2 currently takes a more comprehensive overview of AI from a portfolio perspective, which, don’t get me wrong, is great; however, it would be neat if there was a third level that was instrument specific and maybe even discussed trading strategies commonly used etc etc.

I feel like I could “talk the talk” and have a strong understanding of AI after having studied both levels, but I still feel lost with respect to actually implementing AI strategies and instrument-specific trading strategies. I feel that CAIA is a great program, but could use a 3rd level that is more applied.