Do people really care about CAIA?

I have yet to hear this designation mentioned in any circles, let alone with any regard. To me, I would recommend sitting for this exam only if you have trouble with the CFAs. Otherwise, the CFA on its own attests sufficiently to a person’s intelligence and dedication to finance. Employers will really start to question your social skills and judgment with more than one of these designations on your resume.

1 Like

What do social skills and judgement have anything to with these exams??? people who take them are either intellectually curious or want to advance their careers.

1 Like

I really do not understand this stigma to the CAIA. Yes, the exam is not as well known or valued as highly as the CFA. However what is the harm in coupling the two together? Personally I enjoy alternative asset allocation and feel this designation will add value to my future endeavors.

1 Like

I don’t care if I can or cannot use the designation, nor whether anyone cares. The material itself is intrinsically interesting.

1 Like

85% of the people that I come across in the CFA space do not know about CAIA. In the real world 99.9% of the folks do not about it.

1 Like

I’m sure some of the CAIA material is mildly interesting, but I think taking public speaking classes, attending networking events, mastering excel, or just reaching out to alumni are probably more constructive uses of time, certainly after being awarded the CFA charter. If humans retained much more of what they studied, then perhaps I might be swayed otherwise.

1 Like

I guess finding a rich uncle or girl friend is lot more productive than any of the above that you suggested.

1 Like

I think a liberal arts undergraduate degree is totally useless for employment purposes. It just proves you aren’t retarded. People still get them though, strange.

1 Like

Liberal arts degrees are viewed by many as not overly practical, certainly in finance. This is truth, sarcasm or not. I think you’ll find most such people then attend grad/trade school or even pursue a certain 3-letter designation as a means to compensate. I suppose you can’t fault 'em. Choosing a major at 19 is bound to produce a few wayward paths.

1 Like

True. I have a few friends that were/are liberal arts majors, I’m just posting this to get a few laughs from them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I heard someone refer to it today as “Kai-ya” Is that normal?

1 Like

Yes, it is pronounced as KAIYAA

1 Like

I thought it was pronouced KA-EYE-AYE, lol.

1 Like

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think a liberal arts undergraduate degree is > totally useless for employment purposes. > > It just proves you aren’t retarded. People still > get them though, strange. I have not been around for sometime, am glad you know agree with me.

1 Like

eastcoaster9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sure some of the CAIA material is mildly > interesting, but I think taking public speaking > classes, attending networking events, mastering > excel, or just reaching out to alumni are probably > more constructive uses of time, certainly after > being awarded the CFA charter. > > If humans retained much more of what they studied, > then perhaps I might be swayed otherwise. Your knowledge of education is very shallow, or you are just stupid and silly. The fact that people do not know about CAIA does not mean the designation is useless, to the extent that it has an intrinsic value. I have done some courses which I never include in my resume - but when it comes to actual job performance they give me an edge over someone who has not. Taking a two or three stage exam never means you cannot achieve these other things you are lecturing people to do. Employers questioning your social skills - thats silly and you are working for the wrong employer. But I do understand that these exams were not made for everyone, so it would be advisable to keep your opinion to yourself, and let these young guys pursue their passion.

1 Like

^ Agree with JOE2010.

1 Like

Nicely said Joe2010.

1 Like

I don’t understand the contentious tone. Can I ask that we stick to the topic as opposed to making personal attacks, though I am not in the least bit offended. My point simply is that some get overly focused on credentials and letters, and forget about other skills that give you an even greater edge. It’s always a give and take. When you spend a good chunk of your free time for the past 2-5 years in a library, you lose something. I am pro-designation, I wouldn’t know of this forum otherwise, just not pro-portolio of designations.

1 Like

JOE2010 Wrote: > Your knowledge of education is very shallow, or > you are just stupid and silly. I should add. Solely getting your education from a book would be the “shallow” method in my view.

1 Like