How to deal with Essay

I finished reading the Schweser books and completed Practice exams. English is not my native language and for me the most difficult parts of exam are: (1) Hedge Funds and Managed Futures, (2) Essay part. Regarding (1) this need to be mainly memorized but regarding Essay part, I have a few questions: How much sentences do I need to get full points for each Essay part? Question for those people who took CAIA2 earlier, does candidate have enough time on exam and how much Essay questions were on exam in Essay part?

1 Like

I haven’t taken the CAIA L2 yet, so all I have to rely on are the sample responses provided by Schweser and the official CAIA sample questions, found at: http://www.caia.org/uploads/textWidget/wysiwyg/documents/LII-SampleQuestions-March09.pdf It appears that the grading criteria are similar to CFA L3’s grading criteria, in the sense that you aren’t graded on length, style, or full sentences, but rather just need to have the responses down in a concise manner - with bulleted or numbered lists satisfactory. I suggest that you use the search function on CFA L3 on Analyst Forum to get a more in depth discussion about the experience of candidates (and even graders) with the CFA L3 exam. Also, username “JoeyDVivre” to the search, since I know for sure he has graded it.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Wow good find, I didn’t know Joey had marked previous CFA level exams. It is quite a relief to hear bullet points are acceptable, organizing the content just takes up useful time.

1 Like