CAIA vs. CFA

How does the CAIA exam compare in difficulty to the CFA? How many hours of studying are recommended for each level? I thought 250 was a fair estimate for the CFA thanks

Volume of material is significantly less. So CAIA is a little easier and concept focused. Still shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Recommended hours are 150 - 200 compared to CFA 250+. I have heard the L2 Format is more challenging.

I would said it all depends on your own educational background and professional experience.

I have 4 years of experience in the hedge fund industry, mainly in marketing roles and fund manager selection. I am considering a qualification to boost my career and I am not quite sure between CFA and CAIA. CAIA sounds more interesting to me, especially according to my experience and my future possibilities. However CFA is the gold standard, but also twice as difficult and covering topics which are for sure good to know, but most likely not of paramount importance for the job I will be doing. Also I can’t help noticing that you can qualify CAIA in one year net, while it would take at least two and with a lot of more efforts to get CFA. What is your advice?

I think the CAIA is a much easier charter to get particularly because it is held semi annually. For the CFA you get to wait a full year if you have a bad day on a level 2 or 3 exam. The level 1 exam is pretty easy to pass assuming you are familiar with these concepts already, so basically the only real hurdle is level 2. CFA on the other hand has two real big hurdles and they are only available once a year. As for the worth of the designation I have no idea.

CFA all the way. I work for a fund and we don’t give a f about CAIA. Just search on any job site with keyword CAIA and see how many jobs there are for CAIA professionals.

CFA was just plain hard. The CAIA has poorly worded questions which makes it hard.

delete

I think similar in Canada, at least Toronto. Most finance recruiters NEVER even heard of CAIA. One chapter member even has it spelled out on his corporate profile, but not his CFA. Also, I’ve looked through about 20+ company profiles so far and only 10% of their mgmt have one; most have CFA. The two people I know in hedge funds are split 50/50, but they have different roles, so I think it will depend what your role with be… CFA for PM or CAIA for Ops. My 2 cents from a newb…