CAIA level 1 between CFA 1 and 2??!!

hey wats happening everyone?! i’m currently a candidate for the CFA level 1 for the june exam… i’m interested in doing the CAIA level 1, n i’ve read it is relatively easy compared to the CFA but still not to be underestimated… i know the exam can be written either on march or september… now if i want to incorporate the CAIA level 1 between CFA level 1 and 2, how should i go about that in terms of preperation?! for instance, if i wanna take it on september when should i start my preperations for it?! after the CFA level 1 exam?! would that be enough time (june/july/august)?! assuming i pass the CFA level 1 exam, i wouldnt prefer to take the CAIA on march, cuz i’d rather prepare for the CFA level 2 exam… i read on this forum that some ppl managed to do it on march before CFA level 2 exam… n some right after their level 1 exam on september… thanks in advance…

1 Like

Hey nalzaki, I took: - CFA Level 1 in June 2008 - CAIA Level 1 in September 2008 - CAIA Level 2 in March 2009 (I just found out I passed and completed this excellent program) and will take - CFA Level 2 in June 2009 You definitely have enough time to study for the September CAIA L1 exam in June, July, August. Give yourself 200-250 hours to be on the safe side - I did similar and maxed out each section on CAIA Level 1. If you have a choice, take CAIA Level 1 in September, so you are free in the Spring 2010 for CFA Level 2 (which is a monster!!), assuming you pass CFA Level 1 in June or December 2009. You can also finish up CAIA L2 in Spring 2010 right before the CFA Level 2, but from my experience, this is a lot of work. Hope this helps.

1 Like

sublimity congrats man thats one heck of year for u there, well done… i guess i’ll go with the way u did except that i’ll probably leave CAIA level 2 for september 2010, of course assuming i pass CFA level 1 and CAIA level 1 :)… thanks for the help and good luck on your CFA level 2 exam

1 Like

nalzaki Looks like we are on the same path. I am already registered for CAIA-L1 in September and I write CFA-L1 in June. I think I am going to try and fit CAIA-L2 before CFA-L2, by starting review in November.

1 Like

cfacowtown, i’m an unemployed fresh graduate now can i apply for the CAIA level 1?!.. good luck on ur preperations…

1 Like

You can apply and write CAIA level 1 and 2. The qualification standards apply when you are applying for your charter. Schweser notes just became avaliable to, and early registration ends shortly for CAIA. Good luck.

1 Like

alright i just registered for the exam… so Schweser notes should be enough to pass the level 1 or do i need to purchase other curriculum readings??

1 Like

That will depend on your preference and the advice of more experienced CAIA exam takers. Personally I liked Schwesers CFA products so I am giving them a try for CAIA, but many on this forum vouch for Uppermark over Schweser. It’s really a a personal choice, the same way the Stalla v Schweser is for CFA. I personally bought the curriculum readings for CAIA in addition to the notes because I am very interested in the content. From what others tell me this is not necessary, it was just a personal choice on my part. Overall the CAIA texts cost me around $300, and the Schweser landed me around $700. I am not a big online class fan, but I may choose to purchase secret sauce down the road. Schweser has 20% discounts on CAIA & FRM materials right now, so that may help sway your decision.

1 Like

yeah i took alternative investments in my senior year of university, it was pretty interesting… we didnt have specific books cuz the professor is a CFA charterholder n he used some schweser notes… i’m going for schweser this time, i’ll see about the curriculum readings… anways thanks for your time and again good luck on all…

1 Like