Change my life. I really at a loss.

Sorry if you have read similar post but this is really important to me. I hope to get some advices and I promise this will be my last time posting such threads. I really love the community in AF as people are crude but only in here I get my wake up call.

I am 27 this year and graduated from NUS majoring in finance 2 years ago. I joined teaching 2 years ago as I thought teaching is my calling. However, I was dead wrong and I hope to come back to the financial industry after my teaching bond end next year.

I passed CFA Level 1,2,3 and got a 750 gmat score. I am also taking frm 1 and 2 this may. At the same time, I am hoping to enlist into Singapore Management University (SMU) MS finance program.

Reality struck me today. I read through many ads in wallstreetoasis and realized that none of the jobs need MAF. Most of them need people to know financial modelling or have a phd. I started to have doubts on why am I applying to MAF? According to the MAF website, the MAF program closely follows the CFA syllabus. I started wondering whether am I stupid to do this course since I pass my CFA L3. I started to liken it to a CFA prep course by providers like kaplan.

I started to explore other options like NUS MFE (NTU MFE is a stretch for me IMO). I realized it may be a good program as it teaches financial modelling and a lot of Maths which would be well-received in the financial industry. However, I started to worry whether can I cope with the program. I have zero Maths background and the hardest Quant course I did is research methods in finance which I got a A. I really have no confidence taking this course and I don’t know whether my profile is good enough for the course.

If I take MAF, I think I can be in the top few % of the cohort as I am quite good in those they are going to teach in the course. If I am in MFE, I may struggle and end up with poor grades as I know there are some phd in Maths taking the course.

I was thinking of 4 options. 1) Take MAF. On the hindsight, I was always thinking why LSE MAF is so popular despite being called a MAF. People was commenting MAF can only get into a sales job 2) Take MFE 3) Do not take any of them and complete my ACCA (I completed 6 papers). The reason why I took ACCA is for backup just in case I cannot get a finance job. I heard many horror stories about non-finance people quitting their jobs and in the end cannot find a job in finance and end up doing admin. I was thinking do I wait until I get into the finance industry before I take a msc? But it will be more or less the same 2 schools as my country is small and I do not wish to relocate because of family. 4)I happen to see this MA. Look interesting and I was guessing that it may not be very hard to get in as no one talks about it. Will this help as I see that I see some relevant courses here.http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ecs/graduate/mssae.html. In my undergrad life, I played a lot and did not perform up to expectation (2nd upper). I was wondering if I work real hard, can I use this course to go into phd study? And after phd I go into finance industry? Is it wishful thinking?

I really hope people here can give me some life changing advices. Please pardon my ignorance if I sound stupid somewhere.

What jobs have you applied to so far?

I am waiting for my bond to end next year as it is quite expensive. That why all 4 options are part time study. Thanks for replying ohai.

Agree with Ohai. Have you even started applying yet?

My bond will end next year December so I will start applying for a job. I am very worried. 28 years old next year without any practical experience. Will any one company ever hire me? If not I am dead meat as I still have a family to support.

My advice is the following: STOP studying, get a job.

You don’t need more education, no matter what it is and what you have heard. You’ve got plenty of it under your belt already (and it’s impressive). Without practical experience, more studying really isn’t going to increase your employability.

^ agreed. you have collected enough education.