Job Search

All right guys, I’m a 2009 graduate from a decent school, and a Level 3 candidate, I’ve been working at an RIA for the past year and a half. I’m now trying to move to a new position. Long term goal - value investing, however unless David Einhorn hires me that may not immediately happen. So I am looking for any position that is in “finance”. Been applying all over, interviewed at all sorts of places, ER, RIA, MF. I’m just posting here in case anyone has any leads they want to share :).

How long have you been at the applying?

I’ve been applying on and off since october, most of the usual sites, craigslist, linkedin and school board. Making it my goal to do it everyday. Anything else I can do? Thinking about reaching out to alumni, not sure what to say though.

There is the occasional story about the alumni helping out and getting somebody something, but in reality, I think those stories are probably far-fetched. Would I really go out of way to help a complete stranger that happened to go to my school? There are probably tens of thousands more that have gone to my school. So what?

I may take a minute or two to throw some tidbit of advice their way, but to really push for them and reach out to find if there are open positions or teach them something? I won’t

Depends on your school. I went to a small liberal arts college. We graduate maybe 400-500 people per year. I got my first lasting gig through an alum, and it’s also come up in a few other interviews.

Don’t expect an alum to do all that much for you, but they are more likely to respond to an email or give you an informational interview than a random person.

If you go to a school that graduates many 1000s per year, then the value is diluted for networking (more people, but less loyalty). However it can be nice discussion fodder in interviews.