Experienced job seeker needs advice

I am just beginning my job search. I have 5 years in equity research on the buyside and want to look for a better job on the buyside (more growth, more $$, etc.).

Now comes to the resume prep. A few people have told me I should have a 2 page resume with the second page being the companies I have researched/covered. A lot of the companies are really small and most people have not heard of them. Is it standard to put them on? Thoughts?

Also, if you had to put a price on a senior analyst (buyside) in Toronto, what would they be earning? For a pension fund? Mutual fund? Hedge fund? I was quote very different ranges by some people

This doesn’t seem like resume material, although some people have a separate spec sheet about deals they have worked on and companies that they have covered.

Perhaps you just send in a sample research report for a company you have covered. If there are intellectual property restrictions on that because of your company rules, then you might just do a sample report for a separate company in the space and say that you have more experience with companies X, Y, and Z but can’t send those reports without breaking confidentiality agreements.

Yeah, I know this is more the case for investment banking, which is who I got the advice from. Just wanted to see if the buyside people agreed.

Also, in Toronto, is Vlaad the only worth while recruiter dealing with for buyside positions?

I have no idea about the canadian recruiter issue; maybe someone else can speak to that.

As for the deal sheet… I don’t think that is so valuable on the buy side, but a sample of your research and whatever calls you make that help a firm is definitely something that a buysider would want to see.

Perhaps instead of a deal sheet, you can have a summary sheet of companies/sectors covered, with the hint that you could produce more (or something comparable) if asked in an interview. That actually sounds fairly similar to what the IB guys were saying.

I’m a little late to the party here but I’ll chime in in case you are still checking this thread:

I have six years of experience in a similar role and try to keep it to 1 page. Two pages is more realistic, but people seem to prefer 1 page and I get better responses that way. I structured my resume to focus on tangible accomplishments instead of “Covered X Y Z” which is pretty vague and doesn’t mean you actually did much.

I have a second page that briefly covers important stock recommendations I have made in the past.

I don’t know market comp in Toronto, and part of it depends on the quality of the 5 years. In the US if you had 5 years at a strong hedge fund and were all around solid, I would think you would be in the $200-400K all in range. Pretty big range, but again, depends on a lot of factors like the size of fund, your performance, strength of the hiring cycle, etc. I think everything else is lower than hedge fund pay but I’m sure there are one off examples that provide counter points.