Attorney seeking to make the transition to equity research

Hello friends,

So I’m a 2010 law school graduate (from a top 15 US law school). I majored in political science but also took a number of economics courses. For the last 2 years, I have worked at a small litigation firm. However, I have invested on my own for the last 3-4 years, focusing primarily on TMT and industrials. I want to eventually work at an asset manager, but I think that moving into sell-side research would really complement the research and writing abilities that have been honed by being an attorney. Towards that end, I’m taking the Level 1 CFA exam.

However, my question is, how do I make the transition? I know these jobs are incredibly competitive to obtain in this market. I obviously plan on reaching out to and networking with analysts, and I’m doing an equity research internship with a small firm this summer. I’ve also considered getting a Masters in Finance (I think it would do more to demonstrate my seriousness and give me a competitive edge, especially from a strong program). Any other advice? Many thanks.

Why are you quitting law and the sudden change in direction ? And did you have a specialty in a certain sector?

ive seen JDs working as Ibankers/ PE.

^this. The JD can be seen as a nice asset in a dealmaking environment.

Yep, I know plenty of lawyers working in finance. Don’t do equity research. Just get hired by someone.

I dont think Mfin would help you much given you already have a T15 JD, which is a good enuf degree.