Business Analyst Job Offer

I recently had an informal offer to work for a former boss with whom I have a good relationship at a large wirehouse firm to work as a business analyst in a strategic planning group. The group acts as an internal consulting group searching for ways to grow the business. As you might imagine, a lot of the job will be project management and building power point presentations. I currently work for a investment advisory firm in the areas of portfolio management and trading. The firm is relatively a decent size with >$1 billion in AUM. I am not quite sure whether to leave my current employer for this new oportunity. The pros would be greater mobility and advancement opportunities, however my real career goals are to be in the capital market participant, which I would be leaving to take this role. I am leaning toward staying where I am but I am not sure if I am being dumb for passing up this opportunity at a much larger firm. What do you guys think?

Sounds to me like you have mixed emotions of what you want your path to be.

What makes you want to be a capital market participant, and what is it about this other job that is making you doubt staying in your current position or on your current path?

Sounds like a case for the good ol’ pros/cons list.

edit: And one of the biggest pros/cons in my mind should be how easy it would be to get back into an AM position if you left right now and decided you wanted to come back a year later.