Career advice (CS or GS?)

Hi, I recently have 2 job offers. 1. Credit Suisse private bank to head the Asia pacific thematic research team. 2. Goldman Sachs Investment Strategy Group (under PWM) to cover China macro. Basic compensation is similar (not sure the discretionary part). My goal is to become a portfolio manager in an asset management house. Which job will you take? Please advice. Thanks a lot.

both appear to have a path to PM… but you might consider the competition softer at CS??

My advice would be to pick the one that interests you more and where you think you would have a better mentor. These two conisderations are probably the most important as you thinking about your possible career success and longevity there.

A real person with the experience to land those offers shouldn’t be posting on an anonymous internet forum asking this.

Without considering the firm, I’d take the investment strategy position based on pure interest.

Both of those sound similar to me, but the GS job specifically mentions investment strategy, so maybe that’s what you want. You probably have a better idea of what these are based on interviews.