B.A/B.S in Stats or in Math?

I’m looking for a financial management position inside a single firm. They seem to want a lot of forecasting, variance analysis, some other types of analysis, and then the computer skills necessary to do these tasks. Anyway, I just graduated, but unfortunately I’m only a business minor. I have a very strong business education, as I took several classes beyond the minimum qualifications of a business minor. So I’m relatively knowledgable. I’m looking to get an internship at a charity, non-profit, or public sector job that will give me some more responsibility in analyzing new projects etc. . The thought being I would get more responsibility than in the private sector, and thus load up on experience faster than waiting around in the private sector to get above entry level.

ANYWAY

I still want a ba in math or stats to show people I’m serious about finance even though I was a communications major…

also, taking the CFA lvl 1 this fall. Will this help me get a job?

…JK JK JK JK JK JK

Also, does anybody know a good (and cheap) completely online program for a b.a. in math or stats?

it seems like most online courses are for teaching grade school or high school math… which isn’t exactly what I’m looking for

go on amazon.com

buy the books

read the books

???

profit

i would do this…at least i plan on doing this myself : search for undergrad/graduate text book lists for finance/economics on amazon…for example you can see what books good schools have on their reading lists…and self study…

for math it appears that the one by Alpha C. Chiang covers many econ/fin math required at unis…

Can’t you just take courses from some online or community college? And I’m not sure if this is part of your question, but stats should help more than math. I’d do the core calculus courses and master that, and do as much stats otherwise.

Yes, stats are likely to help more than math. Applied econometrics courses (and the introductions/prerequisites for them) are generally better than the ones that build the math from scratch, unless you are expecting to be developing pricing models for new derivatives and things, in which case the calculus and stochastic calculus courses are better. For most finance, this is overkill, and it will be hard to compete with the Ph.D. physicists and mathematicians on the latter stuff anyway.