Financial Modeling

I have very good knowledge of excel, but to get an interview at a firm here I need to be good at financial modeling, is it something i dont need to study in since i have very good knowledge of excel, or is it something a little more complicated. If i have to look into it could you please recomend me a book to kinda look over it fast or some videos to learn it fast. Thanks

I have just read that the wall street prep take 20-30 hours I was wondering if there was a faster more simple but effective one around, and maybe at a cheaper price.

You definitely should go into your interview with a sense of modeling. That is one of the most basic tactical aspects of the job so even if you’re not an accounting expert, you still should show that you can navigate the basics of Excel.

You can also look into Training the Street and Mergers & Inquisitions for their modeling packages. I had great experiences with both and can recommend them. I have also been an interviewee/guest columnist with Mergers & Inquisitions, but have no other affiliation to the site and don’t get any kickbacks. I’m just commenting about the reliability and quality of their offering, as it is probably at a more suitable price point for you.

Modelling isn’t hard, but you definately need to practice it a couple times first. You can always tell a rookie model from one that’s been built by a pro

Numi, which one of the packages would you recommend me from the training the street self study courses.

I don’t know, I never paid for Training the Street since I got all my stuff included with either my jobs or business school stuff. Post some options for URL’s and I can take a look.

http://trainingthestreet.com/tts-university/self-study-books/financial-modeling/ -This is the link, to the left are the 4 packages, Maybe you can tell me which one you used and the experience with it. The merger and inquisition website is an amazing bookmark on my browser now, thanks for that one.

For your purposes, you probably should just need the Financial Modeling package for $200. Price sounds reasonable.

I don’t remember which of those packages I have used. As I said, I’ve been working in equity reseach, private equity and hedge funds for a number of years now and have been through some type of training for all of that stuff, including M&A and LBO models. For your purposes, the integrated financial model is what you need to know if you’re hoping to get into some fundamental research role. It’s also the basis for building a good M&A or LBO model, so you have to learn things one step at a time.