List of Job's that CFA will "qualify" you for

I mean what would it theoretically qualify you for, not what would it qualify you for in this specific hour/day/month/year’s labor markets… basically, I’m not looking for a bunch of posts about how the CFA wont get you a job, or how it’s not the golden ticket… just what jobs, or job titles, or whatever, would it qualify you for.

I ask because I’m interested in equities, but from the dismal reviews on this forum, am not sure I can truly compete for what few jobs are available. I am interested in Financial Management of firms. Things like CFO, treasurer, “financial analyst”, or financial manager positions. basically, optimizing the debt/equity structure, certain strategic future investments, etc… it seems like there will be many more positions available for this type of work, vs. equities research. I do realize the CFA is more for a portfolio manager, but seems to overlap with many things a financial manager (for a small/medium/large producer not a hedge fund/mutual fund) could use.

Also, how can you distinguish between the career I’ve listed above (taking care of one specific firms debt structure, investments, etc. etc.) vs. researching equities? I hear them both being called “financial analyst” or “financial manager” or “CFO duties”… (treasurer seems to have more specific, universally accepted, duty designations). I find my self stumbling over explaining what I’m interested in doing.

With the CFA designation, you can get jobs in investment banks, consulting firms, financial analyst positions in big companies, pretty much anywhere that has to do something with finance. To be honest, I havent been that lucky. My advice to you: if you find it difficult to get a job in financial institutions (mutual funds/hedge funds/equity research companies/investment banks), then try to get a job in industry. Pick an industry and get a finance related job. That way, youll gain exposure to the real industry and also you`ll do finance related activities. While you are working and studying for CFA, then you can started looking for analyst positions.

Thanks lord_of_war! It helps.

That’s the plan. Unfortunately I only have a Minor in Business, so I’m having trouble breaking into any business related activities, especially finance related.

Largest CFAI Member Occupation Categories

22% Portfolio Manager 14% Research Analyst 7% Chief Executive 5% Consultant 4% Relationship Manager, Sales & Marketing 4% Risk Manager 4% Financial Adviser 4% Corporate Financial Analyst 4% Investment Banking Analyst 30% Other

http://www.cfainstitute.org/about/Documents/cfa_institute_factsheet.pdf

I’m not sure what you want us to say. The CFA doesn’t actually qualify you for any job. Sure, it might help a bit for certain jobs, but it’s probably not going to teach you how to do the work by itself…

Wendy, what type of job do you have? I want to know with all 3 designations, what type of job is it possible to get?

Maybe I’m extra grumpy today, but using 's to make the word “job” plural kinda irritates me.

:-p

whats in the “other” category??

Probably professors and others in academia and other job funcations that are not listed in the above categories.