Turned down for a job, okay to ask why?

I went to an interview and the guy was interested in me but he wasn’t completely sold on me so I didn’t get the spot. I just got an email from him saying they found someone more sutiable even though my “background and qualifications are impressive”.

Would it be appropriate to ask him why I wasn’t chosen? Ask him maybe advice on things I need to work on?

Doesn’t seem like there’s anything wrong with asking for feedback. Just don’t be weird about it.

Normal: “Hi, XXX. Thanks for letting me know. I really appreciate the opportunity to interview at YYY company. I was wondering if you could provide me with some feedback”… etc.

“WTF man, y such a d-tease?”

That’s just a standard response, even if you’re nowhere near what they’re looking for and your background and qualifications aren’t really impressive. They probably wished you best of luck in your future endeavours or something to that nature also.

Yap, that’s how I replied.

Yeah, that’s what it was. It’s funny too because he said they found a better candidate but in the interview he told me there would be a second round of interviews, therefore it’s impossible for them to find a better candidate and what I think he meant is that I didn’t make it to the second round of interviews.

The guy was just trying to be polite saying you were “impressive”

Don’t press too much because then you’ll just be a pain in the a**. Be Polite. simple.

It’s always OK to ask for feedback but just know the other person isn’t obliged to give it. best of luck in your next interviews…gotta pick yourself up and move on

he didnt like your voice, haircut and the fact that you’re 5’6

he’s just being polite. Don’t be a pain. Hiring managers often give you a bit of a run-around or story, if he really likes you he’d say it and you’d know it.

I once asked the hiring manager why I didn’t get the job. At first he told me I was a strong candidate and he found someone with a bit better qualifications. I pushed him a little by asking what I can work on and he finally opened up and was very candid. He told me I should expand on my answers more.

If he is honest, you will learn a lot from his response.