Financial Engineering and Quant career

Dear AFs,

As I am writing this, I am waiting for the CFA II result released in a few hours. Anyone doing the same thing? :smiley:

Recently, I came across a job named Investment Software researcher by WorldQuant. Anyone heard of this company? The initial requirement for this position is not Finance-related degree or qualification. It even states that no finance knowledge is required. The main work daily is, quoted from the JD: “creation of computer-based models that seek to predict the movement of worldwide financial market”. Another thing is: “internation mathematics olympic medal is a plus”.

Further looking up the net leads me to conclusion that: the job is more about solving financial matters by using calculus and statistical techniques.

Anyone familiar with the job here mind giving me a further explanation? I find this kind of job quite interesting and want to pursue in the future. Is this called: Financial engineering?

I intend to purchase this book: http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Mathematics-Financial-Engineering-Edition/dp/0979757622/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Is this suitable for what I am interested in?

I really appreciate any of your suggestions here guys :slight_smile:

My experience with quants is that you’ll need some phd level background in computer science to break into it

I’ve never heard of the company, but if they have the balls to advertise for people with “international mathematics olympics” medals, they must be hot shit.

Normally, quant jobs want hardcore math people - like PhD in math or physics. I’ve known people with MS or undergraduate degrees getting these jobs, but you have to be pretty outstanding. Quant jobs tend to be pretty cushy (good hours, relatively low stress) and compensation can be generous. Usually, you are not paid as much as traders, but you don’t have earnings volatility if the trading book blows up.

Anyway, if you meet these requirements, there’s no harm in applying.

“Calculus and statistical techniques” : sounds like it involves valuing exotic options.

A Certificate in Quantitative Finance might be worth looking into… link below gives you an idea of the course content, cost etc…, a friend of mine did it couple of years ago, some hardcore Math involved, did it in less than a year, highly regarded by the industry so i’m told.

http://www.cqf.com/