How useful are the local CFA networking events?

If you’ve attended these events before (preferably in S. California), please post a review. I’m considering it but now I’m a little hesitant after seeing the price tag involved with many of them ($20-50 to attend a single event.)

The vast majority of these events are filled with people looking to get a job, or a better job.

^This

I’m in Southern California- I went to a thing that Stalla put on where there had a networking hour with cocktails and apps, followed by an accounting class for candidates to try to sell books. It was a bunch of kids that were taking lvl 1, trying to get a job or convienced that they’ll pass these tests and start a hedge fund (much like this board).

I’ve never been to a “real” event though ie dinner, wine tasting or whatever. My boss doesnt go to any of these events either.

This CFA thing is never going to get ppl jobs via networking- those networking jobs will always go to the undergrad or grad school networks where people have fond memories of college life… not some strangers who studied the CFA text in isolation such as ourselves.

Ok, I don’t have any golden expectations for these networking events but they should at least be a step up above, say, applying to tons of jobs online?

You can buy 4 lottery tickets instead of 1, and quadruple your chances of winning, but at the end of the day, the odds are still terribly poor.

What Iteracom said regarding the lottery echoes my own thoughts. “Networking events” are generally bad deals, unless put on by a company with lots of jobs they need filled, or perhaps a university looking to pair up new grads and seasoned alumni. The majority of the people attending are usually job-seekers, and a very small minority are people who might have jobs that they’re looking to find candidates for.

At $50 / event, I’ve got a better suggestion. Go use LinkedIn and find people in the field and companies you’re looking to move to. Figure out a way to get in touch with them. Ask if you can treat them to lunch someday that they have a little time at work and pick their brain for 30 mins. Do this three times. You now have 90 minutes worth of notes from people who you’re certain work in the industries and companies you are targeting. You might have follow up leads who you can treat to lunch or at least e-mail with once or twice. With a bit of luck, you might even make a contact who liked THE CUT OF YOUR JIB and your SNAZZY SUSPENDERS and is willing to keep in touch with you every few months, which will help a lot.

I know what you’re thinking. “But Sadface - Three lunches at $15 per new best friend is only $45! What do I do with the remaining $5?”

You take that $5 and you treat yourself to coffee, alone. You can use the time to think about how dumb the average “networking event” is.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been thinking and have been sending out a ton of LinkedIn InMails to get in touch with others. Only difference is that I’ve been doing thse over the phone in the evenings (i can potentially schedule several in a single evening.) I don’t wish to spend the little free time I have left driving in traffic or cancelling weekend plans although I won’t object to treating them to lunch if we’ve already talked on the phone first.

CFA events in SoCal seem to be mostly social. I go for a few drinks and appetizers and meeting some new people. Never a serious networking lead from there in my experience.

ACG events on the contrary attract some bigger ballers but are expensive for non-members.

+2!!!

I have to say NYSSA puts on good networking events. I went to one last night, which was held at a local bar. It was a good way to network with individuals in a more casual atmosphere.

^ LOL We may actually know each other.

Last thurs of the month at O’Lunney’s right?

Lots of cynicism. I like the face time of CFA events. Keeps you fresh in the ring of local charterholders and not the"yea, what’s his name is all about running money and flipping bills." Sitting on LinkedIn to network is like online dating. The real ballers will be out in the crowd and not watching their message box. +1 on ACG. Spendy, but worth every penny.

It costs money to make money. Just pony up the clams and do it.

Just go, have fun, socialize, and enjoy yourself. Much Better use of resources than scouring LinkedIn.

I went to a few of the Orange County events. The dinner was good, I met a 22 year old Russian girl, and got enough use out of the open bar to cover the cost of the ticket.

)can/should) you bring a date to these things? or is it a roll-solo–and-suggest-the-nearest-strip-club-to-the-last-5-people-at-the-event thing? or, dare I say, neither?

If I’m not a NYSSA member or CFA candidate, can I still go to the local social events? When is the next one and what is the entry cost? I’m back in NYC so figure I should check one of these things out, especially if there is such a thing as an open bar.

Yes you can Numi. They have a non member price. Drinks on me son!

Yup, that’s the place we usually go to after the investment strategy committee meeting. Were you at the last one? Are you on any committees?