What's the proper stage in the Interviewing process for disclosing potential conflicts?

Let’s say you’re interviewing for a new Finance job and you’re under the ethical obligation (under the code and standards) to disclose a potential conflict. Let’s say you’ve obligated yourself help your family or a close friend manage their retirement portfolio for X years to repay one of your past “debts” to them. This would need to be disclosed eventually anyways to an employer.

Would it be too late to disclose something like this AFTER you’ve received a job offer? Or would disclosing it before they’ve made an offer seriously jeopardize your chances? Thanks.

lifelong “financial planner” indebtedness…hmm…sounds mafiaesque to me…

Don’t read into it too much… they performed some favors for me, I return the favor to them. So what’s your answer to my question?

“they performed some favors for me, I return the favor to them”

Uh… this is just making it sound more like you’re in bed with the mob…

But anyway, the answer probably depends on the nature of your obligation. It doesn’t seem like helping someone managing their retirement portfolio is something that needs to be disclosed until after you get a job offer, if at all.

im not sure on this one actually…since you aren’t technically taking a fee for it and aren’t representing yourself as part of the firm im not sure…i mean if it doesnt constitute a 407 letter with duplicate trade confirms and/or statements then i dont see why its necessary? i cant remember the rules on that though. i did a quick search and found this posting:

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/personal-accounts-rule-407-and-you

i guess it depends on what “controlling interest” means. after more thought i think its best to air on the safe side and report it…if its causing you to raise the question then its probably worth just disclosing it and asking if they want duplicate trade confirms sent…but again im just taking a stab at this