Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

When an interviewer asks this question what are they looking for? A very specific answer as if you have a detailed 5 year plan? An answer that leaves many paths open showing you’ve thought about different possibilities? Would the response of spending a few years in practice and returning to further education through a Masters or MBA be an acceptable answer? What exactly are most people wanting to hear?

I don’t have an interview…but just kinda wondering what the “right” answer is.

It depends on the job, of course. Most people probably want to hear some version of “advancing within the company”. However, I can imagine some places that expect you to leave and go to business school or something.

where do you see yourself in 5 years means : where do you see yourself in 5 years? wow. just answer whatever you want to answer

you want to turn everything into a positive, so I usually say something like “well I’m picturing a nice house, nice car and sitting in your seat, hiring quality people”

go play in traffic

i hate this question, because often times… my “real” 5 year plan does not include working at that company and you cant say that.

The safe answer is to say that you see yourself advancing in the company; it’s hard to go wrong with that.

I would carefully word any reponse related to getting a full time MBA because you don’t want to make it seem like you’re using them to get to the next level. Sometime managers are looking for people that are going to be around for a while.

I always twist everything I say to give the impression I’m in it for the long haul. Not all employers care or expect that, but I’d think its more helpful than the opposite.

They just want to see that the job you’re applying for fits in with your long-term plans. Obviously if those plans include “disappearing in the next 3 months” then they won’t want to invest in bringing you on. Similarly, if you really want to be a concert pianist and are simply constructing portfolios to pay the bills in the meantime, then that shows lack of motivation.

So you can talk about the kind of roles you hope to grow into, and add that you are learning about the industry so these things can change as you experience stuff and the growth opportunities that you discover, but X is what you are thinking about right now.