Corporate Finance

I like Corporate Finance more than Equity Research/analysis stuff. I’d like to work as a CFO, Treasurer, “Financial Manager”, or “Financial Analyst” in corporate finance . I know the CFA isn’t exactly great for that, but I feel if one of your main jobs is to elicit capital from investors, then you should be up to date on how and why they invest. Also, if you can analyze a group of companies to find the best company, then that skill must be able to (on some level) help you analyze the single company you work for as treasurer/cfo/fa/etc and then suggest or apply the improvements. Not to mention the big companies are investing more and more, for instance when they use the overnight and long-term capital markets-- the CFA curriculum could be a real plus here.

So, I enjoy the idea of portfolio management but everyone on this forum is so down about the number of jobs and the amount of competition that I’m getting a little worried. From looking on several job sites, it seems that corporate fiance jobs are much more plentiful then portfolio management stuff. I assume because every medium to large company needs to think about serious corporate finance questions, where as there can only be so many portfolios to manage.

ANYWAY,

I’m having no trouble finding lists of the top twenty MBAs/MSF with just plain “finance” designations (or more investment-sounding finance titles) but I’m having trouble finding a list of the top “Corporate finance” programs.

anybody know where to find that? Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I’m hoping the info leads to a career…eventually lol

Last but not least, shouldn’t a MBA in corporate finance be enough educational background to go for CPA licensing in some states?

thanks for any input

For anyone wondering,

I’ve found that a major in business will cover most CPA educational requirements for some states (such as NH and MA)… good to know for those non-accounting degree holders

also, a BA with a minor in business, and then a MBA in Corporate finance should cover most or all of the educational requirements for some states (NH and MA-- MA being the having a higher educational requirement then NH). Good to know for those none business/finance/accounting degree holders.

sorry I didn’t look into other states, but I personally am interested in that area.

I like equity analysis more, but have had most of my experience in corporate finance as a financial analyst and financial manager. The skills are very useful as you learn the best practices of finance, which you can use on any business. I’m moving into a CFO type role soon.