250k to be a Bank Examiner!?

https://my.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/322763500

ugh… sign me up. What do you do? Tell some nerd to build you an excel model and then you sit in your office and tell some intern to plug the numbers in for you? then you make three or four phone calls and go play golf?

how does a job opening like this exist for more then 30 minutes? There seems to be a lot of job openings on USA jobs for finance related stuff… and they pay well. With all the crying and complaining on this message board about there being no PE jobs I’m surprised people aren’t going for some gubment jobs

I used to a bank examiner. It’s a thankless job. Basically, it’s similar to an audit function except you have the ability to tell the bankers to discontinue offering a service, issue fines or shut the fuckers down. If you’re not familiar with CAMELS, those are the areas we look at: Capital Adequacy, Asset Quality, Management, Earnings, Liquidity and Sensitivity.

Did you make anywhere near that money?

I’m familiar. It doesn’t sound too too bad. So you didn’t like it? do you get much thanks at you’re new job?

No. But I have to say is higher than the other branches of government since you’re under the Department of the Treasury. Salary records are public, I even looked myself up once.

It was a great job, but being at the OTS meant acquiescing to the OCC once the “merger” went into effect per Dodd Frank. Going from one culture to another can be tough to deal with, and knowing what I know now, I still made the right decision by jumping ship and moving to the big 4. I don’t get any thanks at my new job, but it’s nice to know that our clients are willing to shell out money in order for us to provide them with advice.

Bank regulators can pay better because they finance themselves through premiums charged to the member banks. They aren’t as influenced by Congress and their spending.