Is my head screwed on correctly?

I’ve been an auditor for almost 2 years at one of the big 4 and have recently been promoted and can expect a rather genrous raise along with it … but I’m still on the fence about whether its worth putting up with another year there.

The reasons are both professional and personal. From a professional standpoint, the audit work I do will most likely not count towards the CFA charter so I have to get into an investment analyst-type position eventually.

However, I am looking for jobs in emerging markets in Asia as I think it would be an interesting experience in addition to being relevant. I have been very intersted in jobs in one of the South East Asian countries as I am already a national of that country which lets me bypass alot of the red-tape foreigners face.

So what I’m looking at is both relevant and will allow me to experience somewhere more interesting than where I am now. The downside is that the pay will be much much lower than what I’m on now. I would be prepared to accept lower pay because the cost of living is lower there as well. I just want others’ opinion on whether its wise to go for jobs that pay significantly less than the current job. It might seem strange, but I’d be gaining other non-monetary benefits such as relevant experience and the chance to live in (what I think) is a more vibrant country.

Please advise, especially those in a similar situation. Thanks.

High risk, high reward. I’m personally a risk averse type of person so I wouldn’t switch but at the end of the day whatever decision you take you have to accept the benefits and consequences.

Speaking as somebody who also currently works for a Big 4 firm, I can safely say that you’re head has not been screwed on correctly since the day you began working there.

I would probably try to get out of the Big 4/auditor life and try to transition to investments/finance as soon as you can, but if the pay/job opportunities/professional network is better where you currently are vs. Asia, you may want to try to stay there. I’d be wary of completely changing jobs, countries, everything all at once.

I’m used to changing everything all at once.

I know it sounds strange for those who had a normal childhood, but when your the child of a diplomat your whole life involves moving, changing school, countries and “everything all at once”. I’ve put up with this several times, and you’re right I took the big 4 job just to have something to do really. I ended up where I am currently as it was near where my parents were at the time. But they don’t live there anymore and I want to go somewhere I’ll be happier. I don’t really have a home country, so I’m in the process of picking one instead so thats the motivation behind changing country and job all at once - I have nothing to lose and won’t miss anything.

Well… here is my perspective… I have a pretty interesting job title. I am a derivatives trader for a major financial instutution. People generally assume I am like Shia in Wall Street. However, in reality, I am bored and disillusioned with the job. Most jobs become repetitive over time. I have thought many times about doing something else, but the career and compensation trajectory always dominates the decision. If I do something else, most likely I will still get bored after a while, and I will have lost a bunch of money from switching to a field where I am less established. Instead, I try to find meaning in things I do outside of work. Incidentally, this motivates me to put effort into my job also, as I need the money to fund my living and future plans.

Of course, the “grass is greener” theory might not apply to everyone. Maybe your situation is different. I just thought I’d put this here, anyway…

I was going to say, with the economy as it is now, why would you dare leave or even try to find a new job? I’m just struggling to keep the sh----ty position I have now because its scary out there. But then again, being a son of a diplomat must provide you with a huge network or opportunities.

I would love to have your derivatives trading job. I left my last job trading at the NYMEX to get my MBA, and now I barely have a job that I get paid less than what I got in my mid 20’s.

And, my short Sep 16/17 Facebook call spread is going against me as we speak, so more money down the drain.

I’m also looking to avoid the audit pidgeon hole. If I spend too long here I might be stuck in audit. So to put things bluntly I don’t like the country I’m in and the Job doesn’t figure in my long term plans.

If I don’t find work by the end of the year, I am considering studying instead. This would at least give me a reason for being in a place I do want to live and being based there might make the job search easier as I feel that most employers are not willing to fly someone to the other side of the world for an interview.

Only problem is I already have an MSc in finance. What could I follow that up with?

Im guessing vietnam/thailand/cambodia? If I were you I’d go for it but of my biggest passions in life are asian women, muay thai, pho and beaches so for me that decision is an easy one to make.

Yeah, quit fucking around and just do it. SE asia is beautiful and has a promising future.