relevant accounting experience for CFA membership

Hello

Please descibe which accounting work would count as a relevant work experience for CFA regular membership? The link on the CFA Institute lists accountant as relevant role but it does not give samples of accounting work as it gives for other positions. I know it must be connected with investments, securities etc but that does not say much.

By the way, I plan to immigrate to Toronto, Canada. I am 35. I have BA degree in finance and accounting. I also did a Masters degree in philosophy at Cambridge university simply because I liked it. I work as self-empoloyed accountant in my country and have some 12 years of accounting experience. To be my own boss gives me freedom and security. As I read the forum, I am not sure anymore if I want to come to Canada and leave that at my age. I am bored of accounting work. I don’t learn anything new anymore. I would like to understand the world of finance and I think that work as analysts or equity research will suit my personality the most. It is not that agressive type of work. But since I will need a job in Canada and have no finance related work-experience, I am best suited for accounting. I started the ACCA program which is available out of Canada and has direct recognition with CGA. As I look at the ads I fear that companies will not employ with “ACCA in progress” on my CV instead of “CGA in progress.” I think that the accounting job should be in a company that has departments with investment related work so that I can switch to that department later. Or simply become an accountant with investment related work. This is where I need your advice. What type of roles and job descriptions suit best? Which companies? Once I become ACCA and apply for recognition for CGA, then I could start studying for CFA without worrying about gaining relevant work experience. In case I never become an equity researcher, at least I would have the knowledge that I am so interested in and I could invest on my own if nothing else.

Is my plan doable, given that I am 35, female, still haven’t become a mother, new immigrant, and hold a non-Canadian BA, and have no-Canadian experience? Please be honest. I feel my life is at stake. Maybe I should simply remain self-employed accountant in my country. At least if I I could find work for 3-4 years in Canada to gain citizenship. But in the meantime I will loose my clients with no certainity at gaining anything wortwile in Canada. What is a Canadian citizenship without a job worthwile the change, risk, studying and efforts.

Thank you for reading and I hope to hear your opinions.