IFRS and CPA

I’m 24. I was planning on working towards a CPA over the next few years.

However, from the sounds of the CFA curriculum, learning GAAP now is probably not a good idea.

Does this mean I should go for some other designation than CPA? or does this just mean I have to get the CPA and learn IFRS on my own time? Is there some international designation that would allow me to work almost anywhere? rather than the CMA for Canada and the CPA for US and whatever else for wherever else?

I know most people here loathe accounting, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

note: I’m looking to get into corporate finance if (or when) my high finance dream dies. Whether any of that is feasible is a whole other discussion aside.

CA for Canada. You can’t sign auditing report with a CMA or CGA. Also you can take some sort of conversion exam for the IFRS stuff.

oh, thanks. Much appreciated.

I wouldn’t worry, GAAP isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Full blown IFRS in the US will occur over the SEC and PCAOB’s dead bodies. Most of the higher ups at my firm think that they’ll be used in parallel for at least a few years. As for the credentials, most jurisdictions offer reciprocity for CPAs/CAs from other countries.

the nice thing about the CFA is that once it’s yours, it’s yours for life.

No continuing education requirement bullsh*t

well you’re technically suppose to continually educate yourself… it’s just not formally enforced… do we have a possible law breakin’ outlaw on our hands?

It’d be funny if the CFA Graduation year became important. Employer thinks I sure liked the '95 to '02 curriculm. The other candidates don’t know shit.