Career Help: Next Steps?

I’m young and currently work as Project Finance Analyst in Solar Energy. Renewable energy is the industry I wanted to get into since entering college and I’m glad I reached that goal, especially since solar is one of the fastest growing industries in the US. Although I was an honors Finance major in college, I decided I wanted to bail on that industry because of it’s volatility and competitiveness.

For a variety of reasons, I’m considering changing companies but I’m unsure how to make myself more marketable. Ideally I would like to work on the capital side of renewables (PE, structured finance, etc). I’m already saddled with enough undergrad debt and I do not want to take out more for an MBA. I could do a CFA but I feel like that wouldn’t be as applicable for where I want to go.

Any advice on what I should do next?

General platitude but here it goes: Find people via linkedin, friends of friends, golf buddies, guys you play D&D with (just kidding), etc. who do the sort of work you want to be doing. Ask them how they got there. Tell them your background and see what they think you need to do to get to their position. Obviously you have to be tactful about it but I would think that should pay dividends.