Best technical analysis books/courses/seminars

Just dropping by asking to see if anyone has a list/recommendations or a link to another website where I could find some insight about the best technical analysis books/courses and seminars.

Help greatly appreciated!

This is the book I used for a TA class I took in undergrad:

http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Analysis-Complete-Financial-Technicians/dp/0131531131/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1347485628&sr=8-43&keywords=technical+analysis

Thanks for your insight! Anyone knows of reputable seminar or workshop (couple days). This is what im really interested in.

CMT

Mind over markets

The William O’Neill (sp) CANSLIM seminar is okay to start with. I honestly think if you just studied CANSLIM and read that book like 12 times, you would do better than the average fundamental value analyst on the Street. You have to really apply it though, not half ass it. The best way to make money is in fact to buy stocks that are already going up. The issue with the IBD list is that contains a lot of really hokey stocks that are bound to eventually implode, so it’s not risk free, but if you have a modicum of common sense you can probably side step a lot of those.

Seriously, forget learning corporate finance and accounting, CFA stuff, blah, blah, blah. Just read charts and buy stuff that is going up and is highly visible, and control the risk. You’ll outperform at least 90% of investors doing that.

So - was Buffett wrong when he said there is no Hall of Fame for successful traders?

Not trying to be adverserial, I really have zero knowledge of successful investors who did so via technical trading, and wrote about it, etc.

No hall of fame – okay

Look up O’Neill

Soros

Paul Tudor Jones

Steve Cohen

The guy who bought the Red Sox, I forget his name (he traded grain or something)

Many others I’m sure – I’m tired at the moment and the names are eluding me but if you hit Google you will find dozens more (at LEAST a dozen very well known names)

Just because Buffett can’t do it doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Technicals are extremely important in terms of actually executing trades, even if those trades are based on fundamentals.

Read Market Wizards.

^ Thanks.

That’s a classic, two thumbs up

Agree – I’ve read the Dahlquist/Kirkpatrick book on Technical Analysis and also Market Wizards (as well as New Market Wizards, Hedge Fund Wizards, etc.). Trading in the Zone and the Psychology of Trading round out my list of the must-read trading-oriented books. I couldn’t go head to head with a true market technician but I think it’s nonetheless important to understand the technical aspects in order to make more informed decisions on when to actually execute a trade. I have my ideas about upside/downside when building a fundamental model but there are so many other factors that could drive a stock to move in the near-term and which also happen to elude fundamental explanation. That’s where the technicals come in handy.

Two Recos. Get whatever material they produce and learn from the best.

Ralph Acampora is currently Managing Director – Market Analytics, for Altaira Wealth Management. He is a pioneer in the development of market analytics and has a global reputation as a market historian and a technical analyst, providing unique insights on market timing and related investment strategy issues.

Ralph Acampora was previously the New York Institute of Finance’s Director of Technical Analysis Studies. Ralph Acampora has taught at the institute for over 40 years. Before joining NYIF, he was Director of Technical Research at Knight Equity Markets. Prior to this, he worked for 15 years at Prudential Equity Groups as its Director of Technical Analysis. Ralph Acampora is one of Wall Street’s most respected technical analysts and has been consistently ranked by Institutional Investor for more than ten years. He is regularly consulted for his market opinion by the major business news networks as well as national financial publications. He is a Chartered Market Technician (CMT), a designation he helped create and which is now recognized by the National Association of Securities Dealers as the equivalent of a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).

Prior to his employment at Prudential, Ralph Acampora worked at several of the financial industry’s top firms, including Kidder Peabody & Co. and Smith Barney.

With 45 years of experience, Ralph Acampora has been instrumental in the development of modern-day technical analysis. He co-founded the Market Technicians Association (MTA) in 1970, is a past president of that group and continues to be an active member of the society. He also founded and was the first chairman of the International Federation of Technical Analysts (IFTA), comprising over 4,000 colleagues around the world.

Ralph Acampora is a trustee on the Board of the Security Industry Institute (SII) and currently is involved in the establishment of the Securities Traders Association University (STAU).

You can follow Ralph on Twitter @ralph_acampora

John J. Murphy is a former technical analyst for CNBC and has over forty years of market experience. He is the face of StockCharts.com, which provides financial information to online investors via technical analysis tools. Murphy has appeared on Bloomberg TV, CNN’s Moneyline, Nightly Business Report, and Wall $treet Week with Louis Rukeyser. In 1992, he was given the first award for outstanding contribution to global technical analysis by the International Federation of Technical Analysts, and was the recipient of the 2002 Market Technicians Association Annual Award. In addition to the First Edition of The Visual Investor, he is also author of Intermarket Technical Analysis and Intermarket Analysis, all of which are published by Wiley. He also authored Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets. Murphy has a bachelor of arts in economics and a master of business administration from Fordham University.

Thanks CFAvsMBA. I did some searching on Amazon and came up with this title by Ralph Acampora – would you recommend it? It’s called “A Nietzschean Bestiary: Becoming Animal Beyond Docile and Brutal.”

www.amazon.com/Nietzschean-Bestiary-Becoming-Animal-Beyond/dp/0742514277

(j/k, btw)

Wow what a bump Harry

#freeCvM

#freeCvM