Jobs in San Francisco

Approx what time are a majority of positions coming into the office in the morning in SF? I’m in Sacramento, CA and I’m trying to gauge the feasibility of commuting. I’m under the assumption that most roles such as pm’s or those in research are coming in sometime before the open like between 5 or 6…is this accurate?

Michael Milken went into the office in Cali at 4am daily … I suggest you do the same

Predator’s Ball was a good book. Milken was a badass.

he was definitely a BSD!

To answer the original question, the start time varies by job, but yes, it’s usually pretty early. If you are a rates trader, usually you get in before 5AM. Milken was in bond trading. Equity traders get in from 5:30 to 6AM. For people in research, it’s usually a bit later - like 6:00 to 7:00AM. Different companies will have different policies.

I’m not sure if commuting from Sacramento is practical for the long term. Isn’t that like a 1.5 hour drive? Seems pretty arduous to put 3 hours of commuting on top of the 10-12 hour jobs that you seem to be looking at.

You people are missing a critical fact. A lot of finance people in Cali go to work super early (we’re talking 4am) in order to match NYC time. So, a equity research associate is normally 7am NYC time, that’s the 4am equivalent.

The flip side is getting to leave earlier. So, if that same NY associate usually leaves at 8pm, the Cali associate leaves at 5pm.

With SF traffic, it’ll be around 3+ hours to the financial district.

As a native Californian, I still cringe when people call it Cali (or San Francisco as San Fran). To me, Cali is a city in Colombia (with some pretty hot women, mind you), not a state on the west coast.

I would think a commute from Sacramento would be pretty harsh. It’s a bit like coming in to Wall Street from Trenton, NJ. However you might be able to stop at a BART station and avoid the final crunch of downtown traffic.

I’m from San Diego and never heard the term “Cali” (occassional reference) until I went to college on the east coast.

So it’s an east coast thing? I always say Cali before I go there to visit (have family there).

You’re Colombian?

From what I have noticed, many people in the Bay Area refer to San Francisco as “the city” - even if they live in the South Bay, which is closer to San Jose, or East Bay, which is closer to Oakland. I suppose if someone actually lived in either San Jose or Oakland, San Francisco would be called “San Francisco”.

No…but I dance salsa like a Colombian!

:wink: