Junior Equity Analyst

I studied Hospitality management. (huge mistake) I was a FA for 2 years and the sales aspect of the job was not for me I am not a salesman, Although I did learn a lot in these 2 years of working, I am currently studying CAIA level 1 I plan to pass in March and do level 2 by september. I know this is going to be a crazy year of studying but I need to do it.

I am keen to move into an AI analyst position, I am doing excel modelling as a hobby, because it does seem that all job requirements, require this skill.

I am looking to start as a junior equity analyst or anything I will polish the directors shoes for them, just to get into a big 4 bank, in NY, London, HK or singapore. ANYTHING.

I have 2 years of advisory experience but in reality it means F**k all.

Please help with what job i should apply for in September.

on your resume… just say you studied Management. “selective disclosure” isn’t technically lying :slight_smile:

but seriously, what were you thinking? did you dream of being the general manager of the local Holiday Inn Express?

Mate I have no idea, I wanted to own a hotel really.

I would rather work in an AI firm being a senior equity analyst.

Should I try and find a job as a junior analyst?

I hate to be a downer, but I think it’s nearly impossible for you to make it. If I were you, I’d focus on getting ANY decent job, ideally one related to finance/business. You are rattling off desirable jobs, but you don’t seem to grasp how competitive they are.

If you are really passionate about equity investing, you need to keep pursuing that on the side, regardless of what your day job is. Study stocks, post ideas on forums, invest your own money. Focus on becoming really f**ing good at it.

As I said I will do anything in a bank and then show reports and what not. Even if it is not my job.

this website tends to be overly cynical and pessimistic… my advice is to look for accounting and operations type roles while you continue studying for financial designations/ certifications… you will be suprised how much you learn within the programs and might even become interested in other areas of finance outside “research”.

One place where hospitality management might come in handy is to research tourist and hotel companies (cruise lines, hotel chains, resorts, etc.). You’ll still need to learn all the accounting and financial ratios stuff that is relevant to making a stock pick. But trying to write up something like a sell-side report for a few hospitality-related companies seems like the logical thing for you to do. You can see if you like that kind of work, are any good at it, and have something to send around to people as a sample of your work.

It’s a long haul, but it’s not hopeless. And yes, the CFA will help, although you might be bitter about all the time you put into it if it doesn’t turn out to be enough. I personally think the CFA is quite useful for one’s own investing as well, although if improving one’s own investing is the goal, there might be less intense ways to do that.

Thanks.

I am not looking to gain knowledge for my own personal trading I would like to work in a bank. Thanks for the advice @bchadwick. I will start doing the research today, it does make sense that I research hotel companies as I know how the business works. I am going to pass in March and will be looking once I have level 1.Best to have something before then, so i can send around as you mentioned

I respect your willingness and determination, but it might be tough for you to break into your dream role based on the experience you have now.

It might behoove you to be select with your time commitment, don’t spent the bulk of your valuable time on getting jobs where your odds of success are 1/50, instead, spent most of your time on jobs within your reach, get experience + incoming cash flow. The last thing you want is getting unlucky with your dream job hunt and end up broke (personal experience)

O, and NETWORK LIKE CRAZY! its the only sure way if you want a super competitive job

You’re turning into bchad.

But I agree your best bet is research covering hotels/hospitality companies. Anything outside of that… your chances are almost none…

JaseyAcey - Have you looked into firms in SA?

It’s the Brazil connection.