CFA before MBA

I’m graduating from college in a couple months and plan on getting an MBA in 3-5 years or so. I passed Level 1 last semester and am wondering if it would be worth it to go all the way and get the charter before going to B school.

I know it won’t super boost my chances of getting in a top program but I’m trying to evaluate the opportunity costs. I guess I could study for the GMAT for a couple years and make sure I score well. Or I could focus exclusively on work and try getting leadership opportunities that B schools look for. After graduation, I’ll likely get a 60 hour a week job after school and ultimately want to do something corporate finance-y in the energy industry. Any thoughts on which option would be most productive?

Chances are your goals and wants may change over time, and since you’re still in school, that leaves plenty of room for you to move around in the career over the nexxt 40 years.

If you have extra time to put in, I’d say do the CFA. Not because it will help getting into bschool, but more to get it over with and done. It’s far easier to do it now while still used to studying and big exams than 10 years later.

^ This. But saw your nutsack off if you don’t pass each exam on your first try.

^ also, not getting into a top 3 MBA program also qualifies for rusty hacksaw castration.

Ditto

I agree with the time and studying habits

Do you have a job yet? I’d focus on that.

If you do have a job, I’d still focus on that. b schools will not care about your cfa charter. Your work will be far more important to them.

Rusty Hacksaw Futures Market.

And here I thought this was another CFA vs. MBA thread. Just dampened my excitement for the night.

But to the OP… don’t count on an MBA x years in the future. Market is saturated with crappy MBAs. Unless you get a good one it won’t be worth it, and even then it may not be. Wait until year Z to decide if you want one.

But then again if you don’t get into HBS you might as well just commit suicide since you are obviously no use to anybody else in this world.