Application - Interview - Job ratio

Hello everybody,

I’m about to graduate and I’ve been applying to a shit load of jobs. As the topic says, what kind of ratios are “normal” in the industry?

I think I sent out 50 applications, got 4 first-round interviews (2 phone) and 1 second round interview (and job). So that’s a 8% chance for an interview and a 25% chance to convert an interview into an offer. Some of my friends have much worse ratios. I knew it was bad but what is the world coming to? ._.

On average, that’s not bad.

A lot depends on the quality of jobs you are applying to, and if you know anyone at those places, which drastically improve hit rates.

And plus you are applying through your on-campus right? That improves your odds.

Not really. Well, companies do visit the campus but they just do that to “show-off.” They all have fancy presentations of pictures of their employees on vacation and all that. They ask you to apply online…just like everybody who is in any university anywhere. So, being in a particularly good university doesn’t really give you any sort of “in” with an employer. And I’m in a top 20-30~ university.

Well, your ratios actually sound pretty good. Congratulations.

I know I’ve applied to around a dozen ER positions so far, so either I’m due for a callback any day now or you’re just a lucky SOB.

One of my other friend has the following background:

BSc Financial Economics, Top 50

MSc Economics, Top 20

1 year as chief field engineer in his country’s national army, knows 4 languages, has 3 years of experience in teaching/business development, a ton of awards and straight A’s throughout university.

Only one investment bank gave him an interview (he didn’t get the job) and in 6 months of searching (~100 applications), he got about 5 interviews in all and 1 offer from a small commercial bank, which he accepted.

I mean I understand not everyone can get a top notch job but what else can one do, really? My problem is that after so many rejections, there is no choice really. Whoever throws you a bone, you pounce. I didn’t imagine something that I have to do ~9 hours a day for a long long time wouldn’t even be a choice. I’m talking from a recent graduate’s point-of-view.

If you want some perspective, I led the job search for a junior analyst at my firm last year. After posting a job description on Bloomberg and a few college websites, we got 200 resumes in one week. I ended up interviewing 40 candidates and made 1 offer.

When coming out of college I sent out around 70 applications (not all had cover letters), had like 8 first round interview, 3 second, and 2 offers (only one seemed reasonable). But honestly, out of the three second rounds only one was actually legit so my hit rate might’ve really just been like 1/5 for first round to offer.

Definitely should’ve networked more and I think it does make a pretty big difference. I’m starting to network a bit this time around.

But yea… 25% is pretty good. For the other poster… top 50 isn’t impressive at all (I wouldn’t even call this semi-target) and neither is top 20 masters (sorry but I think most people would agree w/ me here). I’m assuming this is like top 50 by us news rankings or the like.

Agree. Actually if it isn’t top 5, an MBA is pretty much worthless in this job market in terms of separating yourself from the crowd, at least for the legitimate jobs.

Rule of thumb:

100 applications -------> 10 interviews -----------> 1 offer

Okay, to add some perspective, the university is HKU, University of Hong Kong. It’s about top 25ish worldwide (depends on where you look). However, the more important thing is that it is one of (if not) the best in Hong Kong. But, when you enter the job search, you are on the same level Hong Kong Baptist University, which is not even top 100. I wonder how they report an unemployment rate of 3.30% really.

I think that is a bit of a reach, depending on which market you’re talking about. I think the conversion from interview -> offer should be higher. Companies literally get bombarded with applications so, if they call you for a face-to-face interview, they’re probably interested. My biggest hurdle really was getting an interview. I mean I spent hours on my resume. As far as what I’ve done is concerned, it could not have been shown in better light. But, if they don’t let me interview, it’s never going to be enough.

I’d say 100 -> 5 -> ~2

You interviewed 40 candidates for one job? As a recruiter, is it worth the cost? Also, I’ve been told that since you get SO many applications, you look for excuses to reject applications. Oh I don’t like the font. I disagree with that American spelling of the word. I got better grades than that. Is that true?

All true. I could write an entire book on how to interview after interviewing so many people. After about the 20th person, it became less about what they said and more about how they said it and how presentable they were. All those studies about good looking people having an advantage in the business world are 100% true. Case in point, we moved 10 candidates onto the second round to meet our CIO. The most qualified candidate of the ten was a butt ugly girl, like falling off the ugly tree ugly. Our CIO said there was no way he could look at her for more than 10 seconds so he dinged her.

I find it very odd too that you would interview that many candidates. You must have spent literally weeks if not a month just preparing for the interviews. Most hiring managers I speak to say they interview 5 people…and if ever they are not impressed by the pool of candidates, they might try another 5.

I know exactly what you mean. THere was a girl in my undergrad. She was stellar on paper, she got every single interview she applied for through campus-recruiting. perfect GPA, clubs, activities, won awards for academics etc. very personable and smart person,

But she was as ugly as a mule. 150 interviews, not a single job offer.

and it definitely was not due to her lack of skills or interviewing abilities

life isn’t fair folks.

For some people it’s generic facial features (which truly sucks). If it’s more because the person is fat then that’s addressable imo… most people think of me as overweight 6 months ago when I was about 35 pounds heavier. Probably considered me a little chubby though.

ChickenTikka has forever framed my photo as his avatar

35 lbs in 6 months. Wow, that’s impressive. What did you do?

When I was coming out of school I applied for between 100 and 120 jobs, probably 15 or so phone interviews, couple final round interviews and 1 offer.

Overall your ratio seems abnormally good.