(help) Career start in Edmonton(Canada)

Hi, everyone

I currently graduat from University of Alberta, major in Finance and attended CFA level 1 exam Jun 1st.

I have posted at least a hundred resumes since Jun 1st. Though I have some interview chances, the interviewer ask me why I am taking the CFA and I know the job doesn’t require CFA preocess.

but I want to develop my Career with CFA in future.

Would you mind to leave me some suggestion is what kinds of positon is best for step the first pace?

Also, it is be very good reference for the CFA level 1 candidate to start Career.

Is english your first language, or did you skip words on purpose? As you’ll find from other threads from other canadian posters is that there isn’t a ton of open finance jobs in the great white north. Sorry no real suggestions. If you’re looking in Edmonton I trust you’ve looked at AIMCO already.

No, english is my second language. I have keep searching “CFA” or “Financial Analyst” in the job seeker website, such as indeed.com or workopolis.com. Do you know any other position is suit for CFA candidate?

I just find out AIMCO is an investment company, thanks.

I just graduate as an International student and I not am fimilier with the investment industry in the North America.

Did you have an english speaker review your resume for errors?

yes. I was upset when I am creating a new topic, and it made my brain unclear.

I don’t have any solid working experience in Investment Industry. But I joined stokcket market in 2007, and had a prject to test the investment hypothesis " adjust the petroleam investment portion accouding to the PMI change" durring my school.

I see you are in Canada too. Would you mind to give me suggertion?

I went to UAlberta too.

Edmonton’s a pretty bland city - it’s not a financial or business center and it’s not an energy center. So there really aren’t many funds or sellsides there. AIMCo’s the only one I know of. So realistically, you’re best bet is to either (a) get on with a bank (TD, RBC, whatever) and try to work your way into the capital markets side of things, (b) get on with AIMCo (very competitive), or © move to Calgary. Calgary’s the energy center for Canada so it’s full of O&G focused funds and sell side groups. All the big banks have their market divisions here too. But the flipside to this is you need to demonstrate that you know energy. They like petroleum engineers, but a good finance background with hands-on oilfield experience or something along those lines goes a long way (for example I have drilling, cementing, fraccing and E&P business analysis experience). How you deal with that is up to you. Just looking now, Edmonton’s cfa society job page has 3 postings, Calgary has 14…to put things in perspective.

All that said, you definitely need to improve your composition skills if you want somebody to even look at your applications…