Associate Equity Research - Salary Negotiation

As the title suggests I’m interested to hear thoughts on Associates salary in Sell Side Equity Research.

I have had 4 interviews and I got called in again to have an ‘informal chat’, the role is an associate analyst for a tier 1 US IB.

• Will there be a big range in what they will pay, could the range be large like 80 - 120k or more likely 95 - 105k (AUD not USD). If I get an offer I obv want to get the to top of their range, I’m 4 years post grad.

• What approach would people take to get to the top of their range, they already know what I’m currently paid?

• What bonus would they pay, i was thinking ~25% of base?

Cheers

Depends on the BB, but some are lock step and there is zero negotiation. GS is lockstep and 0 negotiation.

Hi, not to be taken the wrong way but it really doesn’t matter how old you are (though I’m sure you know this – there are people from ages 18 to 40 on this forum trying to get into research, yes?).

What matters is whether you can fit into the role and do the job. I have some pretty specific advice on these types of negotiations after having worked with numerous clients in the past, but for all practical purposes they will likely see you as a rookie that will require lots of training unless you have had prior experience in ER. If you’re going to negotiate on base you might have $5-10K upside – and of course, why leave anything on the table, I suppose – but that’s about it. The range will be pretty tight for entry level roles. Also, I don’t know anything about you, who you are, what your qualifications are…so therefore, trying to advise you on more specific negotiations in a public forum wouldn’t be appropriate.

Long story short: unless you have other offers, it’s unlikely you will have much leverage if any, and what they offer you is probably fair.