What would you do? Please help.

Hi everyone - Given that I feel like I’ve reached a point of no hope & have been following the threads here for a few days & seen some pretty good advice from the experienced veterans, thought I’d ask:

After graduating from college ~6 yrs ago, I started working as an investment analyst (mostly middle office type work); 2 yrs into the job, I was given the opportunity to internally transfer to another group for a role that unfortunately didn’t work out. However, I ended up staying with my new group because the salary was/is excellent, work-life balance is pretty good and thought things would eventually get better. In the last 12-18 months, I’ve realized it’s just NOT going to get better…ever. I’m not challenged, there’s no future, the group isn’t recognized in front of senior management, my work/input isn’t respected and frankly this job is doing NOTHING for my future. Unfortunately, the job search (which I’ve done on-off for sometime now) hasn’t gone well either. Most recruiters have communicated that I take a significant pay cut (atleast 20-25%) or continue doing similar back-office work. I’m in my late 20’s, single & would be willing to relocate to a mjaor city; however, as we all know, there’s alot of competition and my mainly back-office work experience resume isn’t anything an employer is dying for. So if you were in my position, would you:

1.) Ask for an internal transition? I’ve done this before, but didn’t get anywhere, so maybe ask again more aggressively? It’s a very well-reputed company with great benefits. Problem is, we’ve had a few people leave the group since I joined and I have a pretty full plate so I’m not sure if my desire to move would matter when they just want someone to complete the work and keep things status quo, or

2.) Just go hard on job searching and just leave the company completely, even if it means taking a significant paycut. Just feel like this is going to take a long time and I’ve already wasted 4+ years doing the back office work.

I hope you’ll share some meaningful/sincere guidance as I’m truly starting to hit the breaking point - I know life has its ups-and-downs, but being ambitious and willing to work hard, I just can’t see how to tackle this problem and how to really turn things around. I keep seeing people younger than me in other groups promoted/going to top ivy leagues while I sit here working on a presentation that know one gives a damn about. Thanks in advance for your help.

Since it’s a well-reputed company as you say, it’s unlikely a more aggressively asking will yield any results. There’s probably loads of experienced peple trying to get there.

You can try stepping up more aggresive external searching perhaps for a few months. Ultimately I think if you can withstand the lower financial impact for a couple years, then take the pay cut. your career is still 30 years to go. break out and do something you really want.

if the thought of doing what you’re doing now for many years makes you feel sick, then I think the answer is clear

I was working at a F500 in a pretty challenging/visible role and switched to a top tier financial company to the type of role you described. I am definitely happy about making more and having a better work life balance, but it’s not going to help me get to where I want. I have been here ~1 year. My thoughts at the moment are enjoy the city and focus on the personal life. I’m 3 years out of school.

If I was in your position I would consider a MBA or find a line from where you are now to another part of the firm. You mentioned you see people in other groups going to top ivys so why don’t you apply? If not, think about who you communicate with regularly, what they do, if you think you’d like that and ask about positions? You said you’re not completely back office so if you’ve been helpful and nice people would probably be willing to help you move. People have asked me if I’ve ever considered moving from my role to working on the teams I help at the moment. Is this possible?

Need to network more aggressively internally and see if people in the other department where you want to go to can lobby for you. Trying to let HR run their process will be painfully slow. Otherwise, a pay cut to move to front office may be necessary. It will be much more stimulating and if you perform well your upside will be higher. Mostly you’ll feel a greater sense of purpose or challenge. I know it can’t sound too palatable to take a cut but that is life. You need to prove your worth before you get the big payday.

Thanks, Guys! To answers some FAQ:

1.) It’s hard to network as I’m an introverted person and for the last few years, thought if I keep my head down and work my butt off, it’ll automatically mean promotion/more visibility/etc. Obviously not. I’m even ready to step out of my comfort zone to get ahead, but it doesn’t help that I work in a regional office w/less than 5% exposure to sr. management.

2.) The younger analyst going to ivy leagues work in front office jobs - I work in a back office role. So I see them or have heard them on calls, but don’t really interact with them to follow a similar path. If I do stay with my current company, that’s the role I’d love to get into, but again, b/c I’m in a satelite office, not sure how to get into that role.

3.) Honestly, I think everyone in my group dislikes their job, but pay is great, hours are quite good, they are all similar (age/spouses/alma matters/kids ages) so it’s pretty easy to make the day go by faster. I, on the other hand, don’t fit into this cookie-cut group and absolutely can’t stand doing this l/t, even if it’s my boss job.

So all in all - sounds like its time to move on (either from the group (pretty slim chances) or from the company completely). Any ideas on the best way to network? Thanks again - I really appreciate the feedback.

What would you do if your son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor, cos hes hungry…

It aint all bad. Looks like your situation is similar to me, but at least you got a job that pays nicely.

Besides the career advice here, which I cant really help with since I am in a pickle too, Id suggest working on some outside projects of your own that you are passionate about. It will occupy you with something stimulating that you aren’t getting form the job. Plus if it takes off, you can say bon voyage and control your own destiny.

You betcha!

Lol - anyway, going to start job searching again - it really sucks to be in this position year-after-year-year…I’m grateful I have a job in this economy, esp. one with a very well recognized company and great pay - just sucks that the ambition gets in the way and I know I’m not meant for this long-term, but just can’t seem to get an offer (either I quit searching after no leads or just get so swamped w/my current role that it just keeps getting delayed). REALLY REALLY wish I had networked in college rather than study my a** for the gpa/scholarship. Must not lose hope…