Highlighting Investment Acumen on Resume

Hi All,

Hoping to get some quick insight here. Not sure how people generally highlight their personal investment experience on their resume (when you work in a non-investment decision role).

In my particular instance my colleague (a former investment analyst) has taken the liberty of mentoring me, as well as another colleague, into performing true fundamental analysis. We perform a screen based on fundamental criteria, allocate the names from the short list, and individually analyze our respective companies. We then report back to one another with the company that has the highest potential (be it growth, or value). Following this a short form report is prepared, similar to that of what an investment analyst creates.

The idea here is that we’re able to vet out more ideas than we would be able to do individually. Please do not flame me; just want to make sure that I’m not over/under emphasizing this. I’d think some serious analysis merits a line item, or two. Certainly my ability to generate alpha/edge has room for improvement, which I acknowledge. However, this alone has been quite fruitful.

Thanks, guys and gals.

I recommend for my clients to summarize their investment process in their resume, and highlight several of their most differentiated calls. No more than 1-2 lines for each idea, which really forces you to focus on brevity, but that’s the name of the game. That being said, focus on investment process – that matters more than actual results of your call, because interviewers will have no idea if you were actually good or just got lucky if you can’t substantiate what your investment process was.

In addition, you should get into the practice of writing up your investment ideas. Any potential employer worth their salt will be interested in reading your write-ups. Here is some guidance on how to pitch stocks – suggest that you read the whole four-part series if you haven’t done so already. It’s from an interview series I did with MergersAndInquisitions.com last year.

http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/hedge-fund-case-studies-part-1-overview/

Just put a picture of an elephant trunk on the back with the phrase, “Buyside BSD.” They’ll get it.

Numi- impeccable advice, as always. Appreciate it. Will take another look at the M&I interviews- top notch quality and could always use a refresher.

CFAvsMBA- always good to show them what you’re working with. Sadly, I doubt any firm will be calling me King Richard, but only time will tell.

^ It’d take some stones to do that for real. And real financiers need brass stones. I’d do it and see what happens.

If it were me, I’d at least call the dude in to see what kind of financier had the gall to put BSD on their resume.

Alright, you talked me into it. Will let you know how it works out :wink:

Probably better suited for the cover letter than resume. To me, resume is for actual work experience and education.

Good pt.