Career Advice

I have been interested in doing a CFA for quite some time and have actually made some feeble attempts at starting previously, however each time I wasn’t committed enough to make even past week one. I lacked knoweldge and experience to have a sound reason for attempting it previously which I believe I now posess.

Having said that, I’m concerned that it’s a pointless endeavour for me given that I’m almost 28 and am not working a banking/finance/invesment field. I do have a commerce undergrad degree with most of my subjects being in Finance, so I should be able to fulfil that requirement to sign up for a CFA, however it’s the age and epxerience factor that I’m worried about. Gaining this credential will certainly look good on a resume and although I understand that a job is not guaranteed, I’m still confdent that it’s worthwhile to pursue. The question is, where will I be able to work with this credential? From what I’ve read, analysts are usually hired straight out of uni as banks prefer to have a fresh mouldable thing to play with with little preconcieved notions about anyhting, so given that I have been working in a different area and given that I’m far from an undergrad by IB standards, what are my options in the finance field?

There are plenty of jobs related to finance that could see benefit from having the CFA charter, or at least going through the program. mid-office risk management, or back office even, corporate finance in companies… etc

The key targeted areas though are Equity Research and Asset mgmt.

Itera, are you feeling well today? You are acting strange.

^edupristine hacked his account.

I want to meet some AF folks in person. Just curoius. If you guys ever go to NYSSA events hit up on AF. I tend to go once every two years.

Yeah um CFA should help you in many different areas even in BO. Just do it!

I met WhutsUrGov in NYC. If people want to do something let me know.

If your alternative is playing video games or jerking off, then definitely register for the program.

Thanks guys. @former trader - I’m not into those things, I suppose that means my calendar is free for the cfa.

This ain’t no walk in the park. If you have some industry experience/exposure it obviously will make it easier. However, even then people get hung up on the exam (I know multiple people in my office that have sat for said level of the exams 3 times). So, if you’re not hungry and can’t make it past one week it may not be for you.

Not trying to discourage you- just trying to be a realist.

Yeah, that one week comment is concerning.

Consider this: if you do start, it’s very hard to quit, and some people never finish.

If you have any doubts about the program and completing it, or it’s value to you, think long and hard about starting, and save yourself the personal stress, relationship stress and time sacrificed.

Fapping doesn’t take THAT long of time does it? I think he can squeeze that in

Yeah, I mean, the charter might come in handy.