MBA Chances Calculator - Profile Evaluation Quiz

I stumbled upon this by accident…

http://www.aringo.com/mba_admission_chances_calculator.htm

Some of the details are debatable, but it seems like a very interesting and useful tool for a person considering applying to b-school…

I scored in the low 40’s. If only I was the captain of a championship professional sports team I could have bumped that up to the mid 40’s.

I scored a 54.

According to this calculator, I shouldn’t have been admitted to the MBA program I attended.

I got a 62.5 and I’m applying this year. I put medium for all application parts. It’s worth noting this website still cites “Soloman Smith Barney” which doesn’t exist anymore.

I was admitted to a top 50-75 school(Carslon School of Management) but went to the much cheaper program at the local state school because my employer was only picking up about $18000 over the course of 3 years. I should very clearly not have gotten admitted. I’m guessing it was mostly GMAT and the fantastic essay about my struggles as a middle class white guy.

One major factor that this calculator ignores entirely is the interview, which I think is very important for most candidates.

If you’re a Don Draper (smooth acting, charming, professional looking) you’re likely to end up at a far far better school than if you come off like a Ted Kaczynski (weird and reclusive).

I got 74.7. Being optimistic about promotions in my current role and staying here for a few years though. Good job I ignored my parents and continued boxing competitively.

This thing said I wouldn’t get into University of Phoenix’s MBA program…dafuq!

The #1 thing that this calculator is missing is race.

In terms of US MBA programs at least, being black or hispanic should provide about a 15 point advantage over being south-asian or east-asian.

agree. race is incredibly critical.

Yeah, I’m punching above my weight but still hacksaw.

I think this calculator deliberately overstates the importance of Essays, Recommendations, and Resume, to try to convince potential customers to buy their services. Other than that; fairly useful and interesting.

Yeah you could definitely use parts of this model to assess your application. Just don’t allocate too much weight into this for your overall prediction.

Agreed about the bias.

Aside from race, they also did not include points for professional designations, but the rest of the questions are quite thorough.

There are too many online calculators on the web.

49.5. Great GMAT, otherwise terrible application.

Agreed. In fact, there are so many (how many are there?) that we’re going to need an online calculator calculator just to keep track.

I wasn’t aware that there are other MBA admission calculators.

Former Trader and LPoulin, could you provide links to the 2 or 3 most useful/popular ones?

http://www.800score.com/score2.html - Clearly wrong. It says the average GPA at H/S is 4.0 and takes nothing other than GPA and GMAT into account.

http://mbapredictor.com/predictor/full-time-mba-predictor/ - Seems okay, but maybe I just liked the results. It isn’t as thorough as the one from the other company. It doesn’t take into account anything about the applicant like charity, clubs, race, etc.

Both the 800score and MBApredictor ones seem to be based entirely on GMAT and GPA, which is completely bogus.

If a 730 GMAT and 3.6 GPA were all it took to get into a top school, then half of India would be enrolled in elite US MBA programs.

Are there any good/useful MBA admissions calculators out there?

Former Trader, Geo; What would be your choice for BSchool in Canada - assuming finance is the endgame