How many hours did you work last week?

What do you do? Corporate Banking Analyst

How many hours did you work last week? 55-60

Your turn.

Performance Analyst, about 50 hours.

About 70, and it sucked. M’n’A’in on the Buyside.

Guru, 37.5 hours (45 days off/year too). That said, next week I may work as much as 45! :o

BAMF Analyst, 40ish hrs.

It’s summertime on the buyside, so approx 40 hours. My official title is analyst, but I’m effectively a senior executive in terms of responsibility and compensation.

Equity analyst at hedge fund, 60 hours a week

hours are gonna be down for the next month because of the world cup

Analyst at PE fund, 55 hours

M and a in on the buyside, 80 hours

I thought you were Jamie Dimon.

Quantitative Analyst

60 hours

Research Analyst. normally around 45 hours.

corp dev/strat analyst - 65-70 hours.

You guys working 70 hours: Do you bust ass for 70 or is lots of that downtime?

I’m hustling hard for 65-70 hours a week (including weekend reading). Stock picking is very difficult so it takes time to really think through various states of the universe that can impact a stock. However, it’s also very mind-consuming as well so there’s a critical point at which the mind may stop thinking in a lucid way. It’s not like banking or sell-side research where a large part of the job is processing / automation.

^ This is what I was questioning. I find I struggle with deep thinking for more than four or five hours a day. I’m not a stock picker but I provide expertise on, at times absurdly complex, financial and capital issues. I really struggle to produce good work if I put in long hours. In fact, I finding dramatically declining value beyond 40 hours a week. And its not that I’m lazy, I spent time outside my 40 hours developing businesses and learning. But to do my primary work beyond 40 would be a problem. Hence why I never ventured into research.

how do u keep from burning out? 65-70 hour weeks will take a toll

for the jabronis going at 70 hours a week, are you downing red bull and snorting coke in the bathroom?

I basically love what I do so it just doesn’t feel like that much of a chore. I read on the subways as well, think about investing in my down time, and sometimes when I’m downing red Bull and snorting coke too. That’s still all time spent thinking about investing, though with the caveat that after coke even the sh!ttiest stock can look good so gotta be a little more careful.