career advice

hi guys,

I require serious advice from you…

I am a CFA level 2 candidate(waiting for the results)

I have a job offer from a credit rating agency, but my dream is to enter IB industry.

Should I go for it or not? What will be chances of getting into IB after clearing L3? Can I switch to IB easily after working in credit rating agency? i mean will that expirience matter?

P.S. : If I accept the offer, I’ll have to work full time and take special training program(1 yr) given by the company in the weekends resultiing in no time for CFA study.

Thanks in advance.

Yes if that’s your best option. CFA is irrelevant for IB. No, the switch won’t be easy. Not really.

Take it. doesn’t sound like you have a clear path to IB anyways if you’re banking on CFA results.

IB industry? do you know which particular area you are looking at because IB industry is way too vague.

yeah, I am interested in mergers and acquisitions. I am learning financial modelling.

What do you do now?

CFA won’t help at all with IB in the M&A area. At least from what I’ve heard.

M&A investment bankers really don’t care about the CFA charter

Neither CFA or Credit Agency experience will help you move to M&A. If you’re joining one of the big ones then naturally the rockstars will have opportunities eventually if they push for it, but these are typically Treasury roles or Corporate Finance. Since your location says, India i’m going to guess CRISIL? You’d have to move to their big brother S&P if you want any sort of shot.