Dear AF community, tell me I can't

As I comb through AF and other sites along with posting my own questions it saddens me to see so many veterans in their respective careers putting down those trying so hard to get to where they are at. I’m not sure how and when they obtained this illusionistic self-entitlement but it sickens me to the core because I truly believe no one is a better person in this world then another. We are all small specks of star dust, made of hydrogen, helium, carbon, etc. just like the stars. You ones that chop people down like the modern rain forest are but one person of 7 billion, on one planet of 8 [sorry Pluto :(], to one average star of 300 billion in the Milky Way, on 1 galaxy of 100 billion in the known universe.

There’s nothing wrong with being prideful of the things you accomplished in life but to leverage your accomplishments as weights on an ax chopping the motivation of potential productive, effective future analysts lights such a strong fire beneath me. Yes, you must be realistic with people but if someone is not qualified, telling them they’ll never make it in versus you should work on ___ ironically demonstrates the weakness in yourself.

Dear AF, I Buffettology88 with a bachelors in Finance from a mid-tier school with little experience and eagerly awaiting Level II results, encourage you to tell me I can’t. Why? Because I use your negativity as fuel to push me far behind limits I once thought where untouchable. And this isn’t just about me. This goes out to all that are fighting so hard to break into this industry. Anytime you read a response bleeding in ignorant pessimism use it as fire to keep your motors at elevated levels.

I will make it in. Not due to arrogance but confidence/motivation. Fine line I know, but believe me I am all David. Did awful in high school. No motivation/direction. Had a self-intervention with myself before I left for college and everything changed. Did well in college, but mid-tier school. Graduated with a chip on my shoulder. That chip continues to grow.

My mission is simple: to prove all the ones that say someone with my type of background cannot make it in and succeed to one day pass my story on to others like me. Because I find it more gratifying to help a future David achieve something great rather than basking in my own achievments.

Respekt

^ +1

I was thinking about this topic the other day. It also bothers me that many people across AF, WS Oasis, and other forums try to find ways to belittle aspiring analysts and WS job seekers. I understand competition is stiff, but why the immense pessimism and negativity? Honestly, it’s disgusting how much arrogance and narcissism pours over these boards sometimes.

I believe that you’re going to find something buddy. Keep your nose to the grind and you’ll get there. There’s always going to be resistance. No one said the journey would be easy, but if you have the right tools, work hard, and stay mentally strong, your tree will bear much fruit (figuratively speaking of course). You might fail, but we will all fail and fall short throughout our lives - how you respond to adversity will determine whether or not you make it to the top of the mountain. So keep persevering and your efforts won’t be in vain.

It’s because there are a ton of clueless / zero experience people who come on boards asking for advice / for us to create a plan for them and tbh, most people don’t have time to write paragraph upon paragraph of all the different roles within finance, what work is involved and typical background. It’s far easier to just be realistic, tell them they know next to nothing and as such have very little chance of making it.

+1.

I would add that if one were to get that easily deterred from their goals by the posts of nameless people who may or may not be who they present themselves to be on an anonymous forum, that this person doesn’t belong in a high-pressure finance role. Do yourself a favor and stay off the forum, do more studying and just get it done.

It’s easy for old-timers to be cynical because so many young bucks believe that they are the next “great investor,” whatever the hell that means in an 80/20 luck/skill industry. The fact is, only a small percent will escape operational/administrative/low-level analyst/coffee gofer status, so when bright eyes begin chirping about their prowess, we have no way of knowing who’s in it for real and who’s not. So we err on the side that is most prevalent, which is the average-to-below-average outcome.

Make sense?

there’s something in L3 called “confirmation bias”. way too many people come to AF wanting to hear what they want to hear, and suddenly get combative when they’re told passing tests won’t get you a job, or that a top MBA > CFA, or that experience without CFA will always >> CFA, or that once you pass a certain age, it’s very difficult to get accepted into an entry level role.

Would you rather people mislead you and simply confirm everything you want to hear? Sure you definitely have a chance at winning the lottery. Is that better?

And as someone else mentioned above, the industry is equally as harsh, if not worse.

you aint gonna make it Buffetology. what are you gonna cry, come on cry baby cry come on!!

Aye, some posters on AF are like Simon Cowell telling American Idol contestants that the odds are stacked against them and that they’re not going to Hollywood this year.

It motivates those with indomitable spirit. For most others, it is a dose of reality they need to hear and accept.

I’m not going to tell you Buffettology that you can’t. How about you stick around and report your progress in five years?

Yo cubby, get out there and keep doing what you’re doing. It’s obvious that you’re serious and motivated to go get it. Now show us you can do it. Don’t come around here asking for permission to be a success, take after my man TI (no homo) and ‘go, get it’

I gotta grind, wont stop Hustle wont quit Shine like no other, I be on some other shit I got a high price lifestyle super bad bitch If I want it, then I got it If I dont then all I gotta do is Go, get it, stay about my bidness Ball till I fall, floss until I finish I can go, get it, stay about my bidness Im living just to kill it, stacking million to the ceiling

IF Ti can do it, YOU can do it

[video:www.youtube.com/watch?v=5betFZRICVg]

Shout out to my boy drizzy drake #trophies What’s the move? Can I tell truth? If I was doing this for you Then I have nothing left to prove, nah This for me, though I’m just tryna stay alive and take care of my people And they don’t have no award for that Trophies, trophies And they don’t have no award for that S**t don’t come with trophies Ain’t no envelopes to open

This is why rap music is popular among ambitious people. I don’t know if there is another genre that tells you to go out and win.

I did poorly in high school, coasted through a state university, and got a non-top 5 MBA. Now I have a job I really like that pays well. Not exactly sure how I managed that other than just generally kicking ass.

Don’t sweat it. You’ll do fine.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXzlRoNtHU&feature=kp]

This!

I crushed it in college but also went to a state school (no MBA), so I will confirm this. Actually most of the best investors I know did not go to Ivy League schools and most of my LPs don’t care about HBS (a lot of people think this is hacksaw when it comes to real world results!) so don’t worry, just go out and kick some ass and never give up. Most of the posters on this board don’t even work in the industry or know what they are talking about. WSO is even worse.

@Destroyer of worlds

Is your statements directed towards me or people in general?

@Itera

Nowhere in my statements did I say or lead on that I am looking for someone to give me the thumbs up. In fact I stated the opposite if you read my headline.

@1BigStudMuffin

How did I know you would come lurking on here with your one liner full of air?

@JBrowntown

I most certainly will.

@Everyone else

Thank you all for your encouraging words! I am not playing around in life, I mean da biznaas! I like rap, but this is what gets my jollies going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKRKO-y6wlo

I essentially posted in response to your post. So yes, they are directed at you. But also to anyone who feels overwhelmed by the negativity on these forums.

@Destroyer of worlds

You said, “if one were to get that easily deterred from their goals by the posts of nameless people…” You must of missed when I said, “…I use your negativity as fuel to push me far behind limits I once thought where untouchable.”

You said, “It’s easy for old-timers to be cynical because so many young bucks believe that they are the next “great investor,”” I would love for you to quote me where I said or even implied that I am the “next great investor” please.